Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > power supply fault or worse?

power supply fault or worse?

nuttytart in cyberspace

hi all,

i went to switch on the upstairs pc the other day and nothing happened.

the pc people at work loaned me another power supply which i have connected
up.

now the only response i am getting is that the "hard drive working" light on
the front is constantly lit and the fan in the power supply is working.

when i switch the power supply itself on and off the processer fan will kick
in.........but only very intermittently....once its running it will stay
running but there is no other response from the pc.
also, when switching the power supply on and off a very noticeable click
can be heard.

previously the pc was working fine and had shut down correctly the last time
it was used.

advice please..........and don't hold back if its bad news )

love & hugs,
angie xxx

Plato

nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:

> i went to switch on the upstairs pc the other day and nothing happened.
>
> the pc people at work loaned me another power supply which i have connected
> up.
>
> now the only response i am getting is that the "hard drive working" light on
> the front is constantly lit and the fan in the power supply is working.

This is sort of odd as a bad power supply _rarely_ takes out a hard
drive. One could have had a surge tho, and it _may_ me that just a card
is fried. Start with the basics.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/