Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Motherboard Question

Motherboard Question

thhissux@aol.com

When a motherboard becomes deffective by static discharge is it
completely dead. By that I mean can you even turn it on and access bios
(I can). Could such a problem exist where power shutoff is triggered,
while bios is accesible as above.

The problem I have is I can turn on my power for about a minute, and
then it turns off. As I have just put the computer together the most I
can do is get into bios. When the time is up I have to turn the power
supply off in the back for a few seconds before I hear a sound and only
then can I turn it on in the front. If I do this right after the power
shutdown the time power is on is lessened. Only when waiting for a
small time can the origional minute of power be restored. Could this be
a power supply problem?

When I boot the video card, processor, and memory is acknowleged.
However, even though having hooked up IDE connections, on master hard
drive, the other slave cd-rom, it registers none or zero hook-ups.
Could this mean a motherboard failure or is this just due to only one
minute of power for configureation. While power is on all devices
operate, if that helps.

Fakename

Is your processor overheating? That can cause reboots.

IDE troubles shouldn't cause reboots, they should generate some sort of
error.

> When a motherboard becomes deffective by static discharge is it
> completely dead. By that I mean can you even turn it on and access bios
> (I can). Could such a problem exist where power shutoff is triggered,
> while bios is accesible as above.
>
> The problem I have is I can turn on my power for about a minute, and
> then it turns off. As I have just put the computer together the most I
> can do is get into bios. When the time is up I have to turn the power
> supply off in the back for a few seconds before I hear a sound and only
> then can I turn it on in the front. If I do this right after the power
> shutdown the time power is on is lessened. Only when waiting for a
> small time can the origional minute of power be restored. Could this be
> a power supply problem?
>
> When I boot the video card, processor, and memory is acknowleged.
> However, even though having hooked up IDE connections, on master hard
> drive, the other slave cd-rom, it registers none or zero hook-ups.
> Could this mean a motherboard failure or is this just due to only one
> minute of power for configureation. While power is on all devices
> operate, if that helps.

Brian

Try replacing your power supply. It sounds like a power issue not m/b or
devices