Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > EIGRP and OSPF

EIGRP and OSPF

Butch

On a spoke and hub network what are the pros and cons.

Network is running OSPF with a migration over to EIGRP.

Any and all responses is greatful.

Vincent C Jones

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Butch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On a spoke and hub network what are the pros and cons.
>
>Network is running OSPF with a migration over to EIGRP.
>
>Any and all responses is greatful.

As in all things networking, the correct answer is "It depends."

It depends on the size of the network, the degree of redundant
connectivity, the size and complexity of individual sites, etc. I
devote a chapter in my book to the issues, concluding that for
large hub and spoke networks (with hundreds of spokes) EIGRP and
RIPv2 have major advantages over OSPF for the routing protocol used
between the hub and the spokes. On the other hand, if the spokes
are simple with only a single link to the hub, OSPF stub routing
can work well. And OSPF runs rings around EIGRP when the network is
a complex mesh with many redundant paths (try setting up EIGRP on a
simple triangle of three routers, each with a link to the other two,
so that every router has a feasible successor for each link).

Good luck and have fun!
http://www.networkingunlimited.com

jsalminen

Well first of all EIGRP is a Cisco proprietary rp. OSPF is not exclusive to
Cisco. So if you have all Cisco routers then you're good to go for EIGRP.

EIGRP is simple and fast. If you allow the default delay values of all the
serial interfaces then it is as simple as can be.

OSPF is relatively more complicated than EIGRP, but that of course depends
on the complexity of your network.

My 2 cents is use EIGRP if you can. I been using it for years and have never
encountered any routing inconsistencies with a full mesh WAN between 10
locations. I mentioned the default delay values above because I use
Multilink interfaces in several places and the default delay value of a mu
interface is higher than a ser interface which puts your composite metric
higher than a ser composite metric. That is of course easily remedied by
specifying a lower delay value in the mu interface config.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

OSPF vs. EIGRP jimbo Cisco 4 03-24-2009 08:51 PM
OSPF or EIGRP over IPSEC in GRE rsurf Cisco 1 02-23-2006 01:58 PM
EIGRP, Want to prevent any EIGRP traffic to a interface BG Cisco 3 02-09-2006 08:05 PM
OSPF and EIGRP interaction troubles dominix Cisco 4 09-02-2005 02:40 PM
Redistribution between IS-IS, EIGRP & OSPF Sam Soh Cisco 5 08-15-2003 02:03 AM

Advertisments