Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > web accelerators, worth using?

web accelerators, worth using?

The Screaming Banshee

Do web accelerators really work? Are they worth getting? I have Callwave
answering machine and they came out with an accelerator they claim will
bring you up to broadband speed for only $4 a month. Any thoughts?

derek / nul

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 01:55:52 GMT, "The Screaming Banshee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Do web accelerators really work? Are they worth getting? I have Callwave
>answering machine and they came out with an accelerator they claim will
>bring you up to broadband speed for only $4 a month. Any thoughts?

They are laughing all the way to the bank!!

Robert Baer

The Screaming Banshee wrote:

> Do web accelerators really work? Are they worth getting? I have Callwave
> answering machine and they came out with an accelerator they claim will
> bring you up to broadband speed for only $4 a month. Any thoughts?

They work and they do not work.
They compress text on sending to you and de-compress at the computer,
making it *look* like one has broadband.
However, read the fine print: pictures, movies and the like are not
compressed, because they are already compressed (some pictures are not).
At $4 per month, one cannot go wrong - BUT that sounds like the price
is too good to be true...
....So be *VERY* careful and ask others about the *specific* plan you
contemplate trying *and* look at the contract and the ad fineprint.
Do they include ads to keep that price unusually low? Do they monitor
your computer in some way so that you get more ads than normal and more
"this is a great buy" e-mails?

Peter D

Robert Baer wrote:
> The Screaming Banshee wrote:
>
>> Do web accelerators really work? Are they worth getting? I have
>> Callwave answering machine and they came out with an accelerator they
>> claim will bring you up to broadband speed for only $4 a month. Any
>> thoughts?
>>

> They work and they do not work.
> They compress text on sending to you and de-compress at the computer,
> making it *look* like one has broadband.
> However, read the fine print: pictures, movies and the like are not
> compressed, because they are already compressed (some pictures are not).
> At $4 per month, one cannot go wrong - BUT that sounds like the price
> is too good to be true...
> ...So be *VERY* careful and ask others about the *specific* plan you
> contemplate trying *and* look at the contract and the ad fineprint.
> Do they include ads to keep that price unusually low? Do they monitor
> your computer in some way so that you get more ads than normal and more
> "this is a great buy" e-mails?

Hey all, Web accelerators not worth using, if you want that sort of edge
it best to use a TCP modifier and tweak your settings, this depends on
what type of connection you have. Also using the right browser is
essential. If you use Firefox this can help, as Firefox has extensions
that can block ad's and create a list of blocked servers, such as
banners and flash adverts. Firefox can also change the TCP settings for
better optimisation. Guess what it all free!

As for web accelerators, they can only compress files and do nothing to
change the speed or response time of your connection, so what the point
in spending money on them.. It is better to just tweak your connections
and have a browser that gets rid of the unwanted banners and popup… thus
giving you a choice of what you view.. When you view it. This as we all
know will help your bandwidth, thus having a faster connection. 

Need Urls just ask.

Hope this helps..

The Screaming Banshee

"Peter D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Firefox can also change the TCP settings for better optimisation.

Okay I installed Foxfire and so far I like it. Now how is it possible to do
what you said above with TCP settings?

The Screaming Banshee

Also with Foxfire, I keep getting the popups regarding encrypted page
warnings. Any way to stop these popup warnings?

Peter D

The Screaming Banshee wrote:
> Also with Foxfire, I keep getting the popup regarding encrypted page
> Warnings. Any way to stop these popup warnings?

Sorry only just checked my mail; yep no problem will give info you need.
K first I will show you the extensions which are a must for better
browsing. Here a URL for a tutorial... it's all automatic.

Popup warning just say don't show again and allow. Fire fox will take
care of the rest.

Fire fox help: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/
Once installed fire fox you have to do some configuration.

Heres what to do... Don't worry it really easy!

1. Goto tools options, select general and then tick fire fox as default
browser. (This is recommended)
2. After that go to connection and make sure direct connection is
selected. (If you have a firewall on make sure that Fire fox has been
given permission for both server and usage on the net)... (If you are
using a router then port forwarding is required)

3. PRIVACY > make sure that the following options are ticked use the
'+' to extend options.

3a. PRIVACY> (sub) HISTORY> Make 3 days (no need for more, optional)
3b. PRIVACY> Download history (choose upon successful download) this
will clear any download history.

4. Now goto the next tab WB FEATURES > make sure the following are
ticked. Tick all of them except from original web page. This will
enable Fire fox to block popup.

5. DOWNLOADS> choose desktop for saving files. (Save all files to> Desktop)
5a. DOWNLOAD MANAGER> Choose when a download begins tick > show download
then> Close download manager.

6. Advanced> now you can customise what you wan but I recommend leaving.
The only option I tick is to use FIND AS YOU type. This very useful
tool and allows you to find just by enter the word you wish to find in a
webpage.

CUSTOMISING.
Now time for the fun stuff...
Fire fox uses Extensions which allow many different tools or setting to
be used. This is why Fire fox is so much better and popular today.
(Its all free too)

To find the extension page do: TOOLS>EXTENSIONS. A popup box will
appear, this what extensions you have installed, from here options can
allow to config everything.

In that box their is small text in bottom right corner... GET MORE
extensions. *make sure you are connected to the net.

The page for fire fox will come up along with the most popular extensions.

Install procedure: Click on extension>then click on install link>
extension box will appear and then ask you to install, say yes. You can
install as many as you like in one go but fire fox will require you to
close all browsers. After restart goto extensions again or options
(depending on the extension function) you can config the behaviour of
them all.

K... almost their, repeat the install procedure, restart is only
required when your done installing them all... Here a list of what you need.

You can use the webpage search in the top right hand corner; change the
search box to extensions instead of webpage.

List: get,
FASTER FOX (for doing your connection, choose optimised depending on
your connection) this is best as aggressive setting can overload
WebPages and this can be a pain in the ass.
ADBLOCK (used to ban banners and images, even frames which are used to
mount banners, this extension is a god send! you can even ban them all
together so be careful what you ban. (This is down by right clicking on
the banner and choosing adblock image, or adblock... (Address).com

Flash block (the same but you choose to click on what to play)

Google customise (predictive text and allows you to search with the same
results in all the major browsers, this to can be done in the top right
search engine)

Auto copy (just highlight anything and it copied straight away)

IE view (does what it says on the packet) open IE not that you'll be
using much, some web pages still are in the dark ages, and fire fox
can't open them up properly, mind you this is about 1% of erm!

TAB Browser preferences (allows you to use tabs and control link
behaviour instead of 10million fire fox programs open, like opera does)

PDF download (gives you option to download or view, handy to have)

Got opera? Also an opera view out as well.
Right feel free to look at any extension you like! Install what you
want, but try to keep to a minimum; you want a fast load time don't you?

Last this go up to your icons and choose customise, you should drop
download, new tab, new window, history and any others that are not their.

Sorry for the confusing guide my first time showing someone. Hope this
is ok for your all, any problems, questions just ask... Welcome to an
internet experience that doesnt include MS products (Haa at last!)

By the way another way of optermising a dsl connection is to use a
program called TCP optermiser, this is only reccomended for ADsl as it
permantly chages settings on you windos congif, read all first heres the
page: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

The Screaming Banshee

Thank you for your time in helping me.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to use Foxfire because two sites
that I pay bills online with, won't accept it. Something about the
encryption not being good enough and they only except IE and Netscape.

Plato

The Screaming Banshee wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to use Foxfire because two sites
> that I pay bills online with, won't accept it. Something about the
> encryption not being good enough and they only except IE and Netscape.

I have four browser icons and use them all for different things. You're
ritht tho, some sites only like certain browsers to work correctly.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Sjouke Burry

Plato wrote:
> The Screaming Banshee wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to use Foxfire because two sites
>>that I pay bills online with, won't accept it. Something about the
>>encryption not being good enough and they only except IE and Netscape.

> I have four browser icons and use them all for different things. You're
> ritht tho, some sites only like certain browsers to work correctly.

In firefox, when arriving at the right page ,rightclick somewere
in the field ,and if you have "IE VIEW" exstention installed you
can open the current page in Internet Explorer.
When leaving IE ,you are back in firefox.
I have not yet recieved any nasty **** that way.
I can run spybot/adaware with !congratulations! nothing found!"
and I like it that way.
Only get unwanted cookies , but "CCLEAN" kills them right off!!