Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Adding a second hard drive

Adding a second hard drive

Bill Mapleson

I've done this before... it shouldn't be so bad. I added a maxtor 40 gig
hard drive to my new computer, acting as a slave. The 40 gig is from my old
computer. The drive is fine. The new computer recognizes it (I see it in the
Bios, set to slave, and it shows up on the black screen during the bios
test). But instead of going to a Windows screen, I get a black screen with a
blinking cursor at the top-left of the screen. Any ideas?

--

Bill

bambam

"Bill Mapleson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I've done this before... it shouldn't be so bad. I added a maxtor 40
> gig hard drive to my new computer, acting as a slave. The 40 gig is
> from my old computer. The drive is fine. The new computer recognizes
> it (I see it in the Bios, set to slave, and it shows up on the black
> screen during the bios test). But instead of going to a Windows
> screen, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top-left of
> the screen. Any ideas?

So what happens when you unplug the new drive?
How is the original drive set up? Master or Cable select?
Is the original drive plugged into the middle or the end of the cable?

Bill Mapleson

I took the drive out of the new computer and pout it back into the old
computer, exactly like it was before:

CD Rom is master, hard drive is a slave. Now, I get no errors, but I get no
boot screen, no beeping, nothing. I've tried both slave and cable select
jumper settings on the hard drive (since I couldn't remember what it was set
at before). The green light on the hard drive comes on for a bit, and I can
feel the disk spinning inside, smoothly.

I really hope the drive didn't just go south. I can't see why that would
happen right at this time.

--

Bill

news:4376f474$0$41150$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > I've done this before... it shouldn't be so bad. I added a maxtor
>> > 40 gig hard drive to my new computer, acting as a slave. The 40 gig
>> > is from my old computer. The drive is fine. The new computer
>> > recognizes it (I see it in the Bios, set to slave, and it shows up
>> > on the black screen during the bios test). But instead of going to
>> > a Windows screen, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor at
>> > the top-left of the screen. Any ideas?

>> So what happens when you unplug the new drive?
>> How is the original drive set up? Master or Cable select?
>> Is the original drive plugged into the middle or the end of the
>> cable?

> I took the drive out of the new computer and pout it back into the old
> computer, exactly like it was before:
>
> CD Rom is master, hard drive is a slave.

Should really be round the other way, hard drive as master, CD Rom as
slave.

> Now, I get no errors, but I
> get no boot screen, no beeping, nothing. I've tried both slave and
> cable select jumper settings on the hard drive (since I couldn't
> remember what it was set at before). The green light on the hard drive
> comes on for a bit, and I can feel the disk spinning inside, smoothly.

Set the hard drive as master, CD Rom as slave and try again.

> I really hope the drive didn't just go south. I can't see why that
> would happen right at this time.

Lets forget about your old computer just for now.
When you unplug your old 40 gig hard drive, does your new computer boot
OK, because that was your original problem?
What is the jumper setting on the back of your new hard drive in your new
computer? And is your new hard drive in your new computer plugged into
the middle or the end of the IDE cable? What other devices are plugged
into an IDE cable on the new computer and how are they configured?
Sorry for all the questions, only tring to help.