Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > computer puzzle

computer puzzle

cyberwraith

I am hoping that someone within this NG can help. My mate is having trouble
with his computer. It runs very well, and it shuts down ok. Then when you
try to switch it back on.....the monitor stays blank although we can see the
case fans etc spinning in the tower. Now if we turn off the power via the
little black toggle switch on the back of the tower, then turn that back on
the monitor flares into life. We have checked the following by replacing
each in turn. The graphics card, the memory and the sound card. We have even
tried a different power source and a monitor as well as completely
disconnecting all drives! The only items we have not been able to test are
the CPU & the motherboard. Would I be right thinking that one of these is
the culprit, or is there something I have missed? Please any help will be
gratefully accepted.

JTJersey

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 23:53:56 +0000, cyberwraith wrote:

> I am hoping that someone within this NG can help. My mate is having trouble
> with his computer. It runs very well, and it shuts down ok. Then when you
> try to switch it back on.....the monitor stays blank although we can see the
> case fans etc spinning in the tower. Now if we turn off the power via the
> little black toggle switch on the back of the tower, then turn that back on
> the monitor flares into life. We have checked the following by replacing
> each in turn. The graphics card, the memory and the sound card. We have even
> tried a different power source and a monitor as well as completely
> disconnecting all drives! The only items we have not been able to test are
> the CPU & the motherboard. Would I be right thinking that one of these is
> the culprit, or is there something I have missed? Please any help will be
> gratefully accepted.

I know this sounds silly, but make sure the power cord to the monitor is
plugged in real tight. I had one do that to me periodically and it drove
me nuts until I replace the cord with a new one. Problem stopped.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

cyberwraith

Thanks JT, we have checked that and it does seem to be tight. I cannot think
of anything else apart from the CPU / motherboard simply because I have
tested everything else. I have no spare boards to test either the CPU or
switch the board itself. I am very reluctant to suggest to my mate that he
spends money on either until I can be sure. The wonderful world of
computers.....Hmmm?! LOL.

What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Can we get rid of? S.Rodgers Firefox 9 12-14-2005 11:15 AM
Home networking puzzle?!? =?Utf-8?B?Qm9ya28=?= Wireless Networking 3 01-25-2005 06:49 AM
A NS puzzle:) Brad Snow Firefox 6 09-03-2004 04:54 AM
A puzzle to puzzle you sk A+ Certification 1 07-17-2004 05:19 PM
PUZZLE Getting DropDownList Index of Matching Value Earl Teigrob ASP .Net 3 08-06-2003 09:41 PM

Advertisments