Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > hard drive question

hard drive question

bob

I have a 3-4 yr old eMachines desktop and a 3-4 yr old Compaq desktop. I
removed the hard drive from the eMachines--its power supply went bad.

Can I read that drive in the Compaq? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

olfart

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Nrvbf.34480$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I have a 3-4 yr old eMachines desktop and a 3-4 yr old Compaq desktop. I
>removed the hard drive from the eMachines--its power supply went bad.
>
> Can I read that drive in the Compaq? If so, how?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bob

Get a 3.5" USB HD enclosure, install the HD and then connect to your Laptop
USB

Fakename

Core hardware compatibility shouldn't be an issue. Some compaqs have
IDE ribbons with only 2 connectors on it (no room for a slave) so you
might need to use a different ribbon to slave the emachine hard drive to
your compaq.

File system compatibility could be another issue. I don't know what
OS's these are but <Windows 2000 will not read NTFS, so if you put an
NTFS formatted disk into a 98 machine it will not read it.

For info on how to add hard disks, what master/slave means, etc, do some
googling. But basically, you adjust the jumpers (possibly just removing
them) on the emachine disk, attach it to a power connector and the ide
channel, and turn the machine on.

You might have to go into the BIOS and re-discover your IDE devices, but
windows should recognize and assign a letter for the new disk.

What operating systems are involved?