Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Reading an old floppy disk created with a brother typewriter

Reading an old floppy disk created with a brother typewriter

mleroy@chez.com

Hello,

I am trying to read a very old 3.5" floppy that has been created by a
Brother electronics typewriter. I get always the message "Format not
recognized" when trying to use a raw floppy editor. The label of the
disk let me think that it is a 720 KByte floppy : DS DD 1.0 Mb / 1.0 Mo

Marc

rivenglo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to read a very old 3.5" floppy that has been created by a
> Brother electronics typewriter. I get always the message "Format not
> recognized" when trying to use a raw floppy editor. The label of the
> disk let me think that it is a 720 KByte floppy : DS DD 1.0 Mb / 1.0 Mo

I tried to retrieve data from some of these for a friend and couldn't get
anywhere using a PC. I did find another Brother WPC on Ebay for 20 which
did the trick - but probably wasn't much good for converting to a standard
format. (Some WPC can save as ASCII on normal floppies but I think the
Brother does a non standard format)

chessucat

You need to get a 3.5" Newtronics floppy drive (D357K) to read the
disk. This drive write at a different speed than the standard floppy
drives, they didn't make very many of 'em cause of the compatibility
problems.

<chessucat twitches>