Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > AP4800E no password

Reply
Thread Tools

AP4800E no password

 
 
Randy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2005
I recently started working at my wifes business and they have a Aironet
AP4800E V8.24 AP4800E_28cd5e and the old IT person left and did not
leave any passwords to any of the equipment. I have attached a serial
cable and can get onto the 4800 but am locked out. I have scrounged
Cisco for password recovery but to no avail. There are only two options
on the menu when I boot up 1 is Privilege and 2 is help. When I select 1
then W it asks for a password which I don't have. I have tried ctrl x
and resetall both don't work. I did read somewhere some units have to be
sent to Cisco for the reset. I can't find any info on Cisco relating
directly to the AP4800E is the 340 and 350 the same thing and have the
same commands. The reason I ask is when I do a search on Cisco's site
for AP4800 it does sometimes point to the 340.

Can anyone tell me if I can access this unit without sending it to
Cisco? And if not how to reset it..

Thanks
Randy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Uli Link
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2005
Randy schrieb:

> I recently started working at my wifes business and they have a Aironet
> AP4800E V8.24 AP4800E_28cd5e and the old IT person left and did not
> leave any passwords to any of the equipment. I have attached a serial
> cable and can get onto the 4800 but am locked out. I have scrounged
> Cisco for password recovery but to no avail. There are only two options
> on the menu when I boot up 1 is Privilege and 2 is help. When I select 1
> then W it asks for a password which I don't have. I have tried ctrl x
> and resetall both don't work. I did read somewhere some units have to be
> sent to Cisco for the reset. I can't find any info on Cisco relating
> directly to the AP4800E is the 340 and 350 the same thing and have the
> same commands. The reason I ask is when I do a search on Cisco's site
> for AP4800 it does sometimes point to the 340.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I can access this unit without sending it to
> Cisco? And if not how to reset it..



The official answer: there is no passwd recovery in the fw.

But if you have another 4500 or 4800 AP and access to the other unit,
then you can upgrade the other to 8.80 and then push the fw update to
the unit without passwd, if the old admin hasn't turned fw update of.
Perhaps the radio stops working with 8.80, but after recovering the
passswd, you can downgrade the fw back and the radio will work again.

Did this with a bunch of 3500 AP after pulling the radio, so they
accepted the wrong firmware. All still working

--
Uli

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Randy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2005
Unfortunately this is the only Aironet in the whole building and at my
disposal.

Thanks for the prompt reply

Randy Simmons

Uli Link wrote:

> Randy schrieb:
>
>> I recently started working at my wifes business and they have a
>> Aironet AP4800E V8.24 AP4800E_28cd5e and the old IT person left and
>> did not leave any passwords to any of the equipment. I have attached
>> a serial cable and can get onto the 4800 but am locked out. I have
>> scrounged Cisco for password recovery but to no avail. There are only
>> two options on the menu when I boot up 1 is Privilege and 2 is help.
>> When I select 1 then W it asks for a password which I don't have. I
>> have tried ctrl x and resetall both don't work. I did read somewhere
>> some units have to be sent to Cisco for the reset. I can't find any
>> info on Cisco relating directly to the AP4800E is the 340 and 350 the
>> same thing and have the same commands. The reason I ask is when I do
>> a search on Cisco's site for AP4800 it does sometimes point to the 340.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if I can access this unit without sending it to
>> Cisco? And if not how to reset it..

>
>
>
> The official answer: there is no passwd recovery in the fw.
>
> But if you have another 4500 or 4800 AP and access to the other unit,
> then you can upgrade the other to 8.80 and then push the fw update to
> the unit without passwd, if the old admin hasn't turned fw update of.
> Perhaps the radio stops working with 8.80, but after recovering the
> passswd, you can downgrade the fw back and the radio will work again.
>
> Did this with a bunch of 3500 AP after pulling the radio, so they
> accepted the wrong firmware. All still working
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Uli Link
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2005
Randy schrieb:

> Unfortunately this is the only Aironet in the whole building and at my
> disposal.


I still have a few 3500E, but in Germany.

--
Uli

 
Reply With Quote
 
www.BradReese.Com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-24-2005
Hi Randy,

Cisco Aironet hardware and software do not allow password recovery.

You must instead return the equipment to its default state, from which
it can be reconfigured:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/wlan/pwrec-2.html

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Website: http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan Lanciani
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, randy@comcast.*net (Randy) writes:

| Unfortunately this is the only Aironet in the whole building and at my
| disposal.

If you can convince the boot block that the main firmware is missing or
corrupt it will request an Xmodem load on the console. (You can then
install a newer firmware version that supports password reset.) You
will probably have to rig up a circuit to disable the flash chip after
the boot block is copied to RAM but before the main firmware is fully
decompressed. Interestingly, once when I was doing this I glitched
something at the wrong (right?) time and got a prompt that (among other
things) let me enter the normal menu system with write privilege without
resetting the configuration to default.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Randy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2005
Is this using a eeprom? if so can I open it up and reset it manually? Or
is this in a sense what you are saying I thought of this last night

I know the unit works fine because I left it on last night and forgot
about it. I turned on my laptop this afternoon and it found the signal.
Ah but it is also pw protected.


Dan Lanciani wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, randy@comcast.*net (Randy) writes:
>
>| Unfortunately this is the only Aironet in the whole building and at my
>| disposal.
>
>If you can convince the boot block that the main firmware is missing or
>corrupt it will request an Xmodem load on the console. (You can then
>install a newer firmware version that supports password reset.) You
>will probably have to rig up a circuit to disable the flash chip after
>the boot block is copied to RAM but before the main firmware is fully
>decompressed. Interestingly, once when I was doing this I glitched
>something at the wrong (right?) time and got a prompt that (among other
>things) let me enter the normal menu system with write privilege without
>resetting the configuration to default.
>
> Dan Lanciani
> ddl@danlan.*com
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan Lanciani
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-25-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, randy@comcast.*net (Randy) writes:

| Is this using a eeprom?

It's a flash chip.

| if so can I open it up and reset it manually?

I suppose you could unsolder the surface-mount chip, reprogram it, and
re-solder it...

|Or
| is this in a sense what you are saying I thought of this last night

I was suggesting a somewhat less invasive strategy to trick the boot
block into thinking thinking that it didn't have a valid main firmware
image.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Kayes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2005
Hi,

I just saw this thread and was wondering if the following would help. It is
a part of the upgrade procedure for the AP4800 (and other VxWorks devices).

There is an option to format the config area of flash - this should allow
you to wipe the config. I haven't tried it myself but it may be of some
use, I have modified the text to show what you should try:



Determine the Boot-Block Version

When you connect to the AP and the Summary Status screen appears, reboot the
AP: press Ctrl-X, or unplug and then replug the power connector.

As the AP reboots, introductory system information appears. The boot-block
version appears in the third line of this text and is labeled Bootstrap Ver.


*** If your boot-block version is 1.01, your introductory text might look
like this:

System ID: 00409625854D
Motherboard: MPC860 50MHz, 2048KB FLASH, 16384KB DRAM, Revision 20
Bootstrap Ver. 1.01: FLASH, CRC 4143E410 (OK)
Initialization: OK Upgrade Method for Boot-Block Versions 1.01 and Earlier
Follow these steps to upgrade your AP if the boot-block version is 1.01 or
earlier:

While the terminal emulator is connected to the console at 9600-8-N-1, power
up the AP. This prompt appears:

Type <esc> within 5 seconds for menu.To enter the menu, press Esc. This
prompt appears:

Type '=' for main menu.Press = (the equal sign key) to go to the main menu.

c -- Copy file
f -- File dir
l -- downLoad file into DRAM
u -- Upload file
p -- xfer Protocol
n -- coNsole
r -- Run
s -- System info.
! -- FORMAT memory bank

Note: The menus are case-sensitive, and there is no command prompt like
those seen in a Windows or UNIX command shell.

Press ! (the exclamation mark key, Shift-1) to erase the contents of Flash
memory

! -- FORMAT memory bank
Press 2 to select the Config bank.

FORMAT Memory Bank:

1 -- DRAM
2 -- Config
3 -- FLASH
Press Y to confirm FORMAT.

Caution: This step erases all files in the bank.

Y -- *FORMAT*
N -- CANCEL

When the Flash memory is erased, the system displays the updated contents of
all memory types.

OR...

*** Method for Boot-Block Versions 1.02 and Later

Follow these steps to upgrade your AP if the boot-block version is 1.02 or
later:

When the memory files are listed under the heading of Memory:File, press
Ctrl-W within five seconds to reach the boot-block menu.

Press = (the equal sign key) to go to the main menu.

c -- Copy file
f -- File dir
l -- downLoad file into DRAM
u -- Upload file
p -- xfer Protocol
n -- coNsole
r -- Run
s -- System info.Note:

The menus are case-sensitive, and there is no command prompt like those seen
in a Windows or UNIX command shell.

Press Ctrl-Z to display the hidden reformat menu.

Press ! (the exclamation mark key, Shift-1) to erase the contents of Flash
memory

! -- FORMAT memory bank
Press 2 to select the Config memory bank.

FORMAT Memory Bank:

1 -- DRAM
2 -- Config
3 -- FLASH
Press Y to confirm FORMAT.

Caution: This step erases all files in the bank.

Y -- *FORMAT*
N -- CANCEL

When the Flash memory is erased, the system displays the updated contents of
all memory types.



Regards,

Martin



"Randy" <randy@comcast.*net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently started working at my wifes business and they have a Aironet
>AP4800E V8.24 AP4800E_28cd5e and the old IT person left and did not leave
>any passwords to any of the equipment. I have attached a serial cable and
>can get onto the 4800 but am locked out. I have scrounged Cisco for
>password recovery but to no avail. There are only two options on the menu
>when I boot up 1 is Privilege and 2 is help. When I select 1 then W it asks
>for a password which I don't have. I have tried ctrl x and resetall both
>don't work. I did read somewhere some units have to be sent to Cisco for
>the reset. I can't find any info on Cisco relating directly to the AP4800E
>is the 340 and 350 the same thing and have the same commands. The reason I
>ask is when I do a search on Cisco's site for AP4800 it does sometimes
>point to the 340.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I can access this unit without sending it to Cisco?
> And if not how to reset it..
>
> Thanks
> Randy



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan Lanciani
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-26-2005
In article <dc5c8t$mf6$1$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Martin Kayes) writes:
| Hi,
|
| I just saw this thread and was wondering if the following would help. It is
| a part of the upgrade procedure for the AP4800 (and other VxWorks devices).

The AP4800E is not a VxWorks device; it runs the original Aironet custom OS.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change a users password without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question AAaron123 ASP .Net 1 01-16-2009 02:56 PM
Changing a users password without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question AAaron123 ASP .Net 2 01-16-2009 02:08 PM
Password change not working for default password in cisco aironet 1200 Deepak K Cisco 2 04-19-2005 08:42 PM
How to keep the password in a password field when page post back? feng ASP .Net 4 02-28-2004 06:46 PM
Adding a password to Mozilla Password Manager Dirk Firefox 4 10-28-2003 10:00 PM



Advertisments