Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DOS Directly accessing hard disk...

DOS Directly accessing hard disk...

Travis

I'm going to install linux redhat 7.1, and am going to use FIPS to get it to work, but after I get to the "Press a key" I get the following windows error message

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem |X| |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe - fips |
| An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to |
| function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. |
| |
| | |
| Close Ignore |
| |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|Was wonding if I can do anything about it.

PS: (And yes, I just must make those annoying little 'windows' windows virtual windows.)

Fakename

Are you running it in a terminal window under a booted windows install?

Travis wrote:
> I'm going to install linux redhat 7.1, and am going to use FIPS to get
> it to work, but after I get to the "Press a key" I get the following
> windows error message
>
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |16 bit MS-DOS
> Subsystem
> |X| |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe - fips
>

> | An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk,
> which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to |
> | function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
> |
> | |
> | | |
> | Close
> Ignore |
> | |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

> |Was wonding if I can do anything about it.
>

> PS: (And yes, I just must make those annoying little 'windows' windows
> virtual windows.)

Fakename

After having another look at this I can see the answer is obvious. You
are running windows 2000 or XP and are trying to run this from Inside
windows.

What you need to do is make a bootable floppy disk and if there's room
copy fips onto it. If there's not put fips on another floppy, boot up
with the first floppy and then put fips in and have at it.

BTW: If you're using NTFS fips isn't going to work. In fact, I think
there could be an issue with the way NT versions of windows deal with
the boot sector as well that could result in your windows system not
being bootable anymore if you use fips. After all, fips was developed
for resizing windows 95/98 partitions. Windows 2k/XP is a whole
different ballgame.

I wouldn't proceed with this without backing up all your files, emails,
internet shortcuts, and other important data first as you may have to
reinstall windows.

If I may, I'd also like to suggest you try a "live-cd" before you start
messing with your hard disk.

Also, if you get SUSE linux it has a wizard that runs during install
that will properly resize your windows 2000/xp partition. You stand a
much higher chance of retaining a bootable system if you go this route.
And if you're not familiar with YAST you're going to love it. Suse
also makes a live-cd or live-dvd.