Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help: Computer keeps shutting off

Help: Computer keeps shutting off

newrvguy

I am wondering if anyone out there knows what would cause a computer to shut
down (restart) on it's own
right while it is being used. My son's computer does that and we even
restored the whole system (cleared the hard drive & re-installed factory
software). It still does it every few minutes regardless of the programs
that are running on it.
Looking for any help or suggestions

thanks

The One

"newrvguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I am wondering if anyone out there knows what would cause a computer to

shut
> down (restart) on it's own
> right while it is being used. My son's computer does that and we even
> restored the whole system (cleared the hard drive & re-installed factory
> software). It still does it every few minutes regardless of the programs
> that are running on it.
> Looking for any help or suggestions
>
> thanks

It wouldnt be a Windows problem, more likely be a memory problem. When I
encounter this problem I take out the memory modules and reseat them,
changing the slots also. If it continues then a faulty chip on the memory is
most likely.

Are you getting an serious error message after reboot and what the series of
numbers given?

JANA

This is most likely a memory failure, or a failure on the mother board.

--

JANA
_____

"newrvguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
I am wondering if anyone out there knows what would cause a computer to shut
down (restart) on it's own
right while it is being used. My son's computer does that and we even
restored the whole system (cleared the hard drive & re-installed factory
software). It still does it every few minutes regardless of the programs
that are running on it.
Looking for any help or suggestions

thanks

JTJersey

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:13:22 +0000, newrvguy wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone out there knows what would cause a computer to
> shut down (restart) on it's own
> right while it is being used. My son's computer does that and we even
> restored the whole system (cleared the hard drive & re-installed factory
> software). It still does it every few minutes regardless of the programs
> that are running on it.
> Looking for any help or suggestions
>
> thanks

Power supply going bad, CPU needs to have the heatsink reinstalled with
some thermal paste, a cooling fan running too slowly from being dirty,
clogged up heatsink fins, a memory chip failing, a PCI or AGP graphics
card overheating or in need of reseating in it's slot?

--
Registered Linux User #267152

derek / nul

You should check the temperature as well.