Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > to install win98

to install win98

stefjnoskynov

I tried to install win'98 on a Athlon 700Mhz 128Mb, but I failed!
Computer recognize cdrom device, it read the content of the cd but when
I tell him "install win98" he respond me something like "device not
ready"! Why this? Is there a problem in the device? Does it would be
something different problem?
Tomorrow I'll try to change device and try another time
I would like a your help, thank you for the attemption and sorry for my
english!
Ps a day I'll come in england
By by

Cyrus®

Check this site,with lots of info, You didn't specify your H/D, Is it FDISK
and Formated? Did you select CDROM on your CMOS set up 1st for bootup.
Jumper setting on H/D, Is your H/D is slave or Master?

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Hope this info Helps
Cyrus®

JTJersey

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:27:43 +0000, stefjnoskynov wrote:

> I tried to install win'98 on a Athlon 700Mhz 128Mb, but I failed!
> Computer recognize cdrom device, it read the content of the cd but when
> I tell him "install win98" he respond me something like "device not
> ready"! Why this? Is there a problem in the device? Does it would be
> something different problem?
> Tomorrow I'll try to change device and try another time I would like a
> your help, thank you for the attemption and sorry for my english! Ps a
> day I'll come in england
> By by

You may not have the CDROM drivers for Windows installed. The BIOS sees
the CD drive, but Windows doesn't. You may need to insert your CDROM
driver disk into the "A" drive and type install. Reboot and try loading
Windows again.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

bambam

stefjnoskynov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) t:

> I tried to install win'98 on a Athlon 700Mhz 128Mb, but I failed!
> Computer recognize cdrom device, it read the content of the cd but when
> I tell him "install win98" he respond me something like "device not
> ready"! Why this? Is there a problem in the device? Does it would be
> something different problem?
> Tomorrow I'll try to change device and try another time
> I would like a your help, thank you for the attemption and sorry for my
> english!
> Ps a day I'll come in england

Personally I like to copy the Win98 folder from the CD to the hard drive
and run the install from there. Have a look at Method 1 here-

http://www.putergeek.com/win98_install/

Hope this helps.

PS- England is hardly worth the trip.

km

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:27:43 GMT, stefjnoskynov
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I tried to install win'98 on a Athlon 700Mhz 128Mb, but I failed!
>Computer recognize cdrom device, it read the content of the cd but when
>I tell him "install win98" he respond me something like "device not
>ready"! Why this? Is there a problem in the device? Does it would be
>something different problem?
>Tomorrow I'll try to change device and try another time
>I would like a your help, thank you for the attemption and sorry for my
>english!
>Ps a day I'll come in england
>By by

Have you already got an operating system on this computer?

If not have you partitioned and formatted the Hard Drive?

To do these things you need a boot disc on a floppy. Win98 boot disks
can also have the option to load CDRom drivers at the same time. Go to
bootdisk.com for the files.

You then need to use DOS instructions to either create temporary
directory for the transfer of the CD files to the Hard Drive and set
up from there or create your Win98 directory and instruct the set up
from the CD. Rather than go into full detail here I suggest that you
do some more detailed reading. See other posts.

KM