Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Quiet HDDs

Quiet HDDs

Nick

I'm recently have built, and continue to update, a computer to be used
exclusively for a home theatre application (pvr, movies, music, etc.) and
have gotten pretty well everything together the way I like it except for one
thing. I am using an extremely quiet (can't even tell when it's on) PSU,
and my CPU fan is hardly noticable, but my 160GB Maxtor Ultra Series which
claims to have an "Ultra Quiet FDB Motor" is exceedingly loud! It
constantly gives off a whine that I can easily hear above even the loudest
of movies, and of course clicks when any reading/writing is done. My
question is: has anyone ever found a good quiet (please no whine) HDD which
would be suitable for my purposes?

Nick..

JTJersey

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:31:09 -0400, Nick wrote:

> I'm recently have built, and continue to update, a computer to be used
> exclusively for a home theatre application (pvr, movies, music, etc.)
> and have gotten pretty well everything together the way I like it except
> for one thing. I am using an extremely quiet (can't even tell when it's
> on) PSU, and my CPU fan is hardly noticable, but my 160GB Maxtor Ultra
> Series which claims to have an "Ultra Quiet FDB Motor" is exceedingly
> loud! It constantly gives off a whine that I can easily hear above even
> the loudest of movies, and of course clicks when any reading/writing is
> done. My question is: has anyone ever found a good quiet (please no
> whine) HDD which would be suitable for my purposes?
>
> Nick..

Is it new? Exchange it for another one. Drives may develop a whine over
a period of years, but a new one, especially one advertiesed as "Ultra
Quiet", should be hardly noticeable. I've had new Western Digital drives
just like that and they exchanged them without a question. There are
mounts you can fit a drive into that will take a whinny drive and shut it
right up, but again, I've only used them for older units that I wanted for
backups or some such thing. This is the one I use -
http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/su...sunhcool_1.htm

--
Registered Linux User #267152

JD

Nick wrote:
> I'm recently have built, and continue to update, a computer to be used
> exclusively for a home theatre application (pvr, movies, music, etc.) and
> have gotten pretty well everything together the way I like it except for one
> thing. I am using an extremely quiet (can't even tell when it's on) PSU,
> and my CPU fan is hardly noticable, but my 160GB Maxtor Ultra Series which
> claims to have an "Ultra Quiet FDB Motor" is exceedingly loud! It
> constantly gives off a whine that I can easily hear above even the loudest
> of movies, and of course clicks when any reading/writing is done. My
> question is: has anyone ever found a good quiet (please no whine) HDD which
> would be suitable for my purposes?
>
> Nick..

what you want is a 250GB Samsung Spinpoint SATAII, not only are they
faster that a WesternDigital Raptor they are so quiet you wont know its
there.

JD

JD wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>
>> I'm recently have built, and continue to update, a computer to be used
>> exclusively for a home theatre application (pvr, movies, music, etc.)
>> and have gotten pretty well everything together the way I like it
>> except for one thing. I am using an extremely quiet (can't even tell
>> when it's on) PSU, and my CPU fan is hardly noticable, but my 160GB
>> Maxtor Ultra Series which claims to have an "Ultra Quiet FDB Motor" is
>> exceedingly loud! It constantly gives off a whine that I can easily
>> hear above even the loudest of movies, and of course clicks when any
>> reading/writing is done. My question is: has anyone ever found a good
>> quiet (please no whine) HDD which would be suitable for my purposes?
>>
>> Nick..
>>

> what you want is a 250GB Samsung Spinpoint SATAII, not only are they
> faster that a WesternDigital Raptor they are so quiet you wont know its
> there.

I think Zalman make a similar thing, its basically two rubber blocks
that adapt your hard drive to fit in a 5" bay.

Nick

Thanks very much.. Spinpoint it is!

Nick

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4350e9aa$0$21147$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick wrote:
>> I'm recently have built, and continue to update, a computer to be used
>> exclusively for a home theatre application (pvr, movies, music, etc.) and
>> have gotten pretty well everything together the way I like it except for
>> one thing. I am using an extremely quiet (can't even tell when it's on)
>> PSU, and my CPU fan is hardly noticable, but my 160GB Maxtor Ultra Series
>> which claims to have an "Ultra Quiet FDB Motor" is exceedingly loud! It
>> constantly gives off a whine that I can easily hear above even the
>> loudest of movies, and of course clicks when any reading/writing is done.
>> My question is: has anyone ever found a good quiet (please no whine) HDD
>> which would be suitable for my purposes?
>>
>> Nick..

> what you want is a 250GB Samsung Spinpoint SATAII, not only are they
> faster that a WesternDigital Raptor they are so quiet you wont know its
> there.

Nick

I purchased a spinpoint and am very happy with it. Thanks for everyone who
helped!

Nick

newskW3f.6629$(E-Mail Removed). ..