Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > two PCs off the one ADSL

two PCs off the one ADSL

fruitbat

My problem is that I cannot get 2 computers working off my ADSL internet
connection at the one time.
The 2 PCs are near each other. Both run XP Pro.
I use a D-link modem. Each PC works fine on the net if directly connected to
the D-link modem, but it will only take one at a time.

I have tried a Netgear router connected to this modem. If I connect both PCs
to the router, each will connect to the net separately but not both
together.

I have tried an Excel 8 port switch connected to the ADSL modem. One again I
connect computer B and computer B to the Excel 8 port switch. If computer A
connects to the internet the computer B will not and vice versa. It is all
done through ethernet cables, none of it is wireless

I am in despair. What should I do next?

bmoag

If your modem is properly connected to the router and the router is properly
set up this system should work. I suspect you have not set the router
software correctly and you will have to read the manual or contact tech
support. At their factory default settings routers should not block internet
access by comuters connected to the router via ethernet cabling so you have
screwed up something somewhere.The modem usually has to be connected to the
router through a specific ethernet port so at a minimum check your
connections.

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:434e11a2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My problem is that I cannot get 2 computers working off my ADSL internet
> connection at the one time.
> The 2 PCs are near each other. Both run XP Pro.
> I use a D-link modem. Each PC works fine on the net if directly connected
> to the D-link modem, but it will only take one at a time.
>
> I have tried a Netgear router connected to this modem. If I connect both
> PCs to the router, each will connect to the net separately but not both
> together.
>
> I have tried an Excel 8 port switch connected to the ADSL modem. One again
> I connect computer B and computer B to the Excel 8 port switch. If
> computer A connects to the internet the computer B will not and vice
> versa. It is all done through ethernet cables, none of it is wireless
>
> I am in despair. What should I do next?

bambam

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:434e11a2$(E-Mail Removed):

> My problem is that I cannot get 2 computers working off my ADSL
> internet connection at the one time.
> The 2 PCs are near each other. Both run XP Pro.
> I use a D-link modem. Each PC works fine on the net if directly
> connected to the D-link modem, but it will only take one at a time.
>
> I have tried a Netgear router connected to this modem. If I connect
> both PCs to the router, each will connect to the net separately but
> not both together.
>
> I have tried an Excel 8 port switch connected to the ADSL modem. One
> again I connect computer B and computer B to the Excel 8 port switch.
> If computer A connects to the internet the computer B will not and
> vice versa. It is all done through ethernet cables, none of it is
> wireless
>
> I am in despair. What should I do next?

The only thing I can think of is that you have assigned both computers
the same IP address!