Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Memory Manager

Memory Manager

Bill

When I boot my computer I have noticed just before it gets on Win 98 it has
an "error: Memory Manager not found." And anytime I leave the computer on
over night, the next morning when I connect to the internet I can not get my
e-mail or get on to news groups. I gives me a sign saying that my POP3 Mail
not found or in case of ng, it gives me a similar sign even though I am
connected to my IP. When I check the memory: Start, Program, Accessories,
System Tools, System Info. I noticed it lists the memory resource free at
21%. I have 512 MB RAM. In order to get mail or get to ng, I have to reboot.
Can somebody tell me what's wrong and how to correct the problem?

Thank you,

Bill

Brian

Sounds like you have too many startup programs running. When you get to
windows click start-run type "msconfig" you will get the msconfig screen. Go
to the startup tab and uncheck all programs then restart. That should free
your memory. As far as the memory manager not found that is an
autoexec.bat/config.sys issue. Win 98 does not require these files so go to
your root directory c:\ and rename autoexec.bat (pick autoexec.old or .xxx
or something other than .bat) do the same for the config.sys file and
restart. that should fix your missing memory manager problem.

Your computer will be running in diagnostic mode at this point. If it seems
ok then you need to remove the unchecked entries from the registry to go
back to normal mode. If there are programs that you unchecked from the first
step that you would like to continue running then go back to msconfig and
check the box again. (do these one at a time so you are sure what is being
started)
Once you are happy with the startup programs, click start - run
type"regedit" (be very careful here as a mistake could cause you to lose
windows). Once in the Registry editor click the + sign next to
hkey_local_machine (HKLM), then the + sign next to software then microsoft,
then windows, then current version, then look for a folder called run- (not
run, make sure the - sign is after run). You can safely delete everything on
the right side window except default. These are all the programs you removed
the check from in msconfig. Once you are done here exit registry editor and
restart. on restart type msconfig again in the run window like before, on
the first screen select normal startup and restart after clicking ok. This
should put you back to normal with more memory available.

Hope that helps......in the future watch when you install programs and READ
all the windows before you click next, this is usually how stuff gets
installed on startup that drains your useable memory.

Bill

Thank you very much Brian.
I did what you advised and the memory is running now at 86% and much faster.
As for the autoexec.bat/config.sys issue I let it stand the way it is
because I'm afraid to tackle
that, it sounds too sensitive for my expertise. )

Again, thank you,

Bill
-------------------------
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like you have too many startup programs running. When you get to
> windows click start-run type "msconfig" you will get the msconfig screen.

Go
> to the startup tab and uncheck all programs then restart. That should free
> your memory. As far as the memory manager not found that is an
> autoexec.bat/config.sys issue. Win 98 does not require these files so go

> your root directory c:\ and rename autoexec.bat (pick autoexec.old or .xxx
> or something other than .bat) do the same for the config.sys file and
> restart. that should fix your missing memory manager problem.
>
> Your computer will be running in diagnostic mode at this point. If it

seems
> ok then you need to remove the unchecked entries from the registry to go
> back to normal mode. If there are programs that you unchecked from the

first
> step that you would like to continue running then go back to msconfig and
> check the box again. (do these one at a time so you are sure what is being
> started)
> Once you are happy with the startup programs, click start - run
> type"regedit" (be very careful here as a mistake could cause you to lose
> windows). Once in the Registry editor click the + sign next to
> hkey_local_machine (HKLM), then the + sign next to software then

microsoft,
> then windows, then current version, then look for a folder called run-

(not
> run, make sure the - sign is after run). You can safely delete everything

on
> the right side window except default. These are all the programs you

removed
> the check from in msconfig. Once you are done here exit registry editor

and
> restart. on restart type msconfig again in the run window like before, on
> the first screen select normal startup and restart after clicking ok. This
> should put you back to normal with more memory available.
>
> Hope that helps......in the future watch when you install programs and

READ
> all the windows before you click next, this is usually how stuff gets
> installed on startup that drains your useable memory.

Brian

glad I could help. The autoexec/config is not so tough though but it does
not have as much effect as the startup programs ...good luck with that and
happy computing