Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Will not boot

Will not boot

Nikki

For a week before the computer would reboot by itself when no one was
using it maybe a few times a day. Now it will not boot up at all no
beeps nothing. I have power all the fans will come on there is an LED
on the mother board that is on
I have tried
- re-seating all cards
- disconnecting CD Drives, Floppy
- Removing all cards except for video card
- Removing and trying hard drive in another computer (works ok)
- Testing battery on MB its ok

Any one have any suggestions Its a P3 500
Thanks
Nikki

HF

Put in a boot disk and drum up Fdisk. Take a look at partition info etc.
Another one is to look in the bios and check out what is going on.
"Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WcfZe.314$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For a week before the computer would reboot by itself when no one was
> using it maybe a few times a day. Now it will not boot up at all no
> beeps nothing. I have power all the fans will come on there is an LED
> on the mother board that is on
> I have tried
> - re-seating all cards
> - disconnecting CD Drives, Floppy
> - Removing all cards except for video card
> - Removing and trying hard drive in another computer (works ok)
> - Testing battery on MB its ok
>

> Any one have any suggestions Its a P3 500
> Thanks
> Nikki

lizzieb

Maybe worth trying another power supply or checking voltages on the one you
have got.

Lizzie

"Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WcfZe.314$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For a week before the computer would reboot by itself when no one was
> using it maybe a few times a day. Now it will not boot up at all no beeps
> nothing. I have power all the fans will come on there is an LED on the
> mother board that is on
> I have tried
> - re-seating all cards
> - disconnecting CD Drives, Floppy
> - Removing all cards except for video card
> - Removing and trying hard drive in another computer (works ok)
> - Testing battery on MB its ok
>

> Any one have any suggestions Its a P3 500
> Thanks
> Nikki

Nikki

HF wrote:
> Put in a boot disk and drum up Fdisk. Take a look at partition info etc.
> Another one is to look in the bios and check out what is going on.
> "Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WcfZe.314$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>For a week before the computer would reboot by itself when no one was
>>using it maybe a few times a day. Now it will not boot up at all no
>>beeps nothing. I have power all the fans will come on there is an LED
>>on the mother board that is on
>>I have tried
>>- re-seating all cards
>>- disconnecting CD Drives, Floppy
>>- Removing all cards except for video card
>>- Removing and trying hard drive in another computer (works ok)
>>- Testing battery on MB its ok
>>

>>Any one have any suggestions Its a P3 500
>>Thanks
>>Nikki

I get nothing on the monitor when I turn the computer on. I cant boot to
anything. I know the drive is ok I put in on as a slave on another
computer and can read everything on it
Nikki

Nikki

lizzieb wrote:
> Maybe worth trying another power supply or checking voltages on the one you
> have got.
>
> Lizzie
>
> "Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WcfZe.314$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>For a week before the computer would reboot by itself when no one was
>>using it maybe a few times a day. Now it will not boot up at all no beeps
>>nothing. I have power all the fans will come on there is an LED on the
>>mother board that is on
>>I have tried
>>- re-seating all cards
>>- disconnecting CD Drives, Floppy
>>- Removing all cards except for video card
>>- Removing and trying hard drive in another computer (works ok)
>>- Testing battery on MB its ok
>>

>>Any one have any suggestions Its a P3 500
>>Thanks
>>Nikki

Power looks good comparing it to another computer I have
Thanks

lizzieb

Hi

when you say the power is good -what do you mean. The fan working is not
always a sign that the PSU is OK.
Lizzie

"Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2BqZe.16101$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> lizzieb wrote:
>> Maybe worth trying another power supply or checking voltages on the one
>> you
>> have got.
>>
>> Lizzie
>>
>> "Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:WcfZe.314$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>For a week before the computer would reboot by itself when no one was
>>>using it maybe a few times a day. Now it will not boot up at all no
>>>beeps nothing. I have power all the fans will come on there is an LED on
>>>the mother board that is on
>>>I have tried
>>>- re-seating all cards
>>>- disconnecting CD Drives, Floppy
>>>- Removing all cards except for video card
>>>- Removing and trying hard drive in another computer (works ok)
>>>- Testing battery on MB its ok
>>>

>>>Any one have any suggestions Its a P3 500
>>>Thanks
>>>Nikki

> Power looks good comparing it to another computer I have
> Thanks

dennis

"Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WcfZe.314$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For a week before the computer would reboot by itself when no one was
> using it maybe a few times a day. Now it will not boot up at all no beeps
> nothing. I have power all the fans will come on there is an LED on the
> mother board that is on
> I have tried
> - re-seating all cards
> - disconnecting CD Drives, Floppy
> - Removing all cards except for video card
> - Removing and trying hard drive in another computer (works ok)
> - Testing battery on MB its ok
>

> Any one have any suggestions Its a P3 500
> Thanks
> Nikki

Take the system down to barebones (mobo/memory/video) then I'd start with
the powersupply...got a friend who has a spare one lying around that you
could temporarily hook up for a test? Maybe you or a friend (again) has a
spare video card to try. If it was memory iirc, you will get beeps during
post. Anything beyond that may it may not be worth repairing, at least at
the retail level.

Another thing is to look at the motherboard for leaking (venting)
capacitors. This may be the culprit especially with a machine this age.

good luck
dennis

Mark Mandell

"Nikki" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WcfZe.314$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For a week before the computer would reboot by itself when no one was
> using it maybe a few times a day. Now it will not boot up at all no beeps
> nothing. I have power all the fans will come on there is an LED on the
> mother board that is on
> I have tried
> - re-seating all cards
> - disconnecting CD Drives, Floppy
> - Removing all cards except for video card
> - Removing and trying hard drive in another computer (works ok)
> - Testing battery on MB its ok
>

> Any one have any suggestions Its a P3 500
> Thanks
> Nikki

Agree with Dennis about the possibility of leaking/bulging capacitors and if
not that then somehow the mobo is still bad.

bmoag

Yo mammaboard be fried crispier than the Colonel's extra-crispy. Unless it
is your cpu instead/also.
Either way it is time to pony up for a new machine, at least MB/CPU/memory.
Be glad your hard drive is still alive.
I would be curious to know if your motherboard had a "wake on Lan" setting,
that it could be set to be turned on over a network by an administrator as
presumably this is the only was a computer could spontaneously boot. Someone
wrote into one of the computer magazines about this recently.

Nikki

bmoag wrote:
> Yo mammaboard be fried crispier than the Colonel's extra-crispy. Unless it
> is your cpu instead/also.
> Either way it is time to pony up for a new machine, at least MB/CPU/memory.
> Be glad your hard drive is still alive.
> I would be curious to know if your motherboard had a "wake on Lan" setting,
> that it could be set to be turned on over a network by an administrator as
> presumably this is the only was a computer could spontaneously boot. Someone
> wrote into one of the computer magazines about this recently.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Today I took every thing
apart removed power supply memory all cards cables and used my air
compressor to clean all the dust out. Put every thing back in and now
it works. Must have being a lose connector I guess. Im happy
Thanks
Nikki