Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer Recommendations?

Computer Recommendations?

JW

I'm looking for a low-cost, reliable computer to use as part of a work
group. Yes, it needs to have the ability to be networked, but will be used
for pretty basic functions. Would appreciate feedback on specific makes and
also recommendations of preferred (online?) vendors... Thanks!

PZ

Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one. One
site with their coupons:

http://dellpromos.com

"JW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FXYXe.292$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for a low-cost, reliable computer to use as part of a work
> group. Yes, it needs to have the ability to be networked, but will be used
> for pretty basic functions. Would appreciate feedback on specific makes
> and also recommendations of preferred (online?) vendors... Thanks!

Brian

what is low cost and how basic????? I have a pII laptop on my network that I
got for $200. It's slow but it does basic internet and word processing. Is
your network wireless or wired? Need more info to give an accurate answer.
At a minimum you will need win98 system for smoother networking but you
could get a used system at a garage sale or in the paper for less than $100
usually...depending on your requirements for basic

Plato

PZ wrote:

> Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one. One
> site with their coupons:

Sure you can. You can end up with no XP cd or even a quick start CD.
Make sure you get one when you order. It cost extra as far as I know.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Jack Jones

"PZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one.
> One site with their coupons:

Sure you can. Dell cuts too many corners to achieve their price point. For
instance, I bought a Dimension 3000 earlier this year without a floppy disk
drive as I figured I wouldn't really need a floppy and, if I did, I could
just mount one of the old floppy drives I already have into the Dimension.
Well, that need for a floppy came today. I opened up the case only to find
the 3.5" external drive bay the specs say the dimension 3000 comes with.
Alas, that bay was non-existent. There was absolutely no way to mount the
floppy as Dell did not include the bay. So I talked with Dell Support and
was told that yes, I didn't have the bay, and, if I wanted to mount the
floppy I'd have to buy the appropriate case hardware. They gave me the phone
number needed to order the needed bay hardware. Unfortunately, the only way
I can get the needed mounting hardware is to purchase a new floppy from
Dell. Bummer. How cheap can a company get?

Tee Jay

Jack Jones wrote:
> "PZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one.
>>One site with their coupons:
>>

> Sure you can. Dell cuts too many corners to achieve their price point. For
> instance, I bought a Dimension 3000 earlier this year without a floppy disk
> drive as I figured I wouldn't really need a floppy and, if I did, I could
> just mount one of the old floppy drives I already have into the Dimension.
> Well, that need for a floppy came today. I opened up the case only to find
> the 3.5" external drive bay the specs say the dimension 3000 comes with.
> Alas, that bay was non-existent. There was absolutely no way to mount the
> floppy as Dell did not include the bay. So I talked with Dell Support and
> was told that yes, I didn't have the bay, and, if I wanted to mount the
> floppy I'd have to buy the appropriate case hardware. They gave me the phone
> number needed to order the needed bay hardware. Unfortunately, the only way
> I can get the needed mounting hardware is to purchase a new floppy from
> Dell. Bummer. How cheap can a company get?

You can get a USB external floppy drive from Compusa for around $40.
Tee Jay

Jack Jones

"Tee Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jack Jones wrote:
>> "PZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one.
>>>One site with their coupons:
>>>

>> Sure you can. Dell cuts too many corners to achieve their price point.
>> For instance, I bought a Dimension 3000 earlier this year without a
>> floppy disk drive as I figured I wouldn't really need a floppy and, if I
>> did, I could just mount one of the old floppy drives I already have into
>> the Dimension. Well, that need for a floppy came today. I opened up the
>> case only to find the 3.5" external drive bay the specs say the dimension
>> 3000 comes with. Alas, that bay was non-existent. There was absolutely no
>> way to mount the floppy as Dell did not include the bay. So I talked with
>> Dell Support and was told that yes, I didn't have the bay, and, if I
>> wanted to mount the floppy I'd have to buy the appropriate case hardware.
>> They gave me the phone number needed to order the needed bay hardware.
>> Unfortunately, the only way I can get the needed mounting hardware is to
>> purchase a new floppy from Dell. Bummer. How cheap can a company get?

> You can get a USB external floppy drive from Compusa for around $40.

The point Tee Jay, is that I already have a floppy drive and should not have
to purchase a new one just because Dell saved a tiny bit of money by selling
a Dimension 3000 that did not contain the 3.5" external bay that Dell's own
specs says is standard. Particularly galling is that I cannot get the
required case hardware without purchasing the floppy drive from Dell. One
shouldn't have to spend $40 simply because Dell chose to not supply a 50
cent piece of sheet metal.