Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can I 'register' previously installed software on a new WinXp install?

Can I 'register' previously installed software on a new WinXp install?

David Murray

Hi there.
I have just installed Windows XP pro on a laptop which came supplied with XP
Home. The Home install included other MS software - Encarta, Works etc.
which I don't have install cds for.
Can I copy these programs to my new XP pro programs folder and register them
with XP pro?
I have the computer set up as a dual boot at the moment, but would like to
ditch the XP home without losing the installed software.
Any advice would be useful.
Thanx
Davy M.

Plato

David Murray wrote:

> I have just installed Windows XP pro on a laptop which came supplied with XP
> Home. The Home install included other MS software - Encarta, Works etc.
> which I don't have install cds for.

Those were addons. They dont come with xp.

> Can I copy these programs to my new XP pro programs folder and register them
> with XP pro?

No.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

David Murray

Okay. Thanx for the info. I won't need to waste any more time trying.

Davy M.

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:43209ec6$0$183$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Murray wrote:
>>
>> I have just installed Windows XP pro on a laptop which came supplied with
>> XP
>> Home. The Home install included other MS software - Encarta, Works etc.
>> which I don't have install cds for.

> Those were addons. They dont come with xp.
>
>> Can I copy these programs to my new XP pro programs folder and register
>> them
>> with XP pro?

> No.
>

>> I have the computer set up as a dual boot at the moment, but would like
>> ditch the XP home without losing the installed software.
>> Any advice would be useful.
>> Thanx
>> Davy M.

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

nos1eep

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:14:27 GMT, "David Murray"
<(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the following drivel:

>Okay. Thanx for the info. I won't need to waste any more time trying.
>
>Davy M.

Plato was not entirely correct, you "can" migrate files, folders, reg
keys, ect. and sometimes it even works. It can be done.

>"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
>news:43209ec6$0$183$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> David Murray wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just installed Windows XP pro on a laptop which came

supplied with
>>> XP
>>> Home. The Home install included other MS software - Encarta, Works

etc.
>>> which I don't have install cds for.

>> Those were addons. They dont come with xp.
>>
>>> Can I copy these programs to my new XP pro programs folder and

register
>>> them
>>> with XP pro?

>> No.
>>

>>> I have the computer set up as a dual boot at the moment, but would

like
>>> ditch the XP home without losing the installed software.
>>> Any advice would be useful.
>>> Thanx
>>> Davy M.

>> --
>> http://www.bootdisk.com/

__

-nos1eep

Dicky

If you have a restore disk I have seen it where you can browse the bin
files, check the read me files to determine what the program is, and
reinstall the addons from there.
"nos1eep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:14:27 GMT, "David Murray"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the following drivel:
>
>>Okay. Thanx for the info. I won't need to waste any more time trying.
>>
>>Davy M.

> Plato was not entirely correct, you "can" migrate files, folders, reg
> keys, ect. and sometimes it even works. It can be done.
>>
>>"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
>>news:43209ec6$0$183$(E-Mail Removed)...

> supplied with

> etc.
>>>
>>> Those were addons. They dont come with xp.

> register
>>>
>>> No.

> like
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.bootdisk.com/
>>>

> __
>
> -nos1eep

nos1eep

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:46:53 GMT, "Dicky" <(E-Mail Removed)>
spewed the following drivel:

>If you have a restore disk I have seen it where you can browse the

bin
>files, check the read me files to determine what the program is, and
>reinstall the addons from there.

Sometimes you can. Sometimes it is just an image, but that image can
be opened with isobuster and files extracted. It is a lot of messing
around with no guarantee of success, but if you have a lot of time on
your hands, well then...............

>"nos1eep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:14:27 GMT, "David Murray"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the following drivel:
>>
>>>Okay. Thanx for the info. I won't need to waste any more time

trying.

>>>Davy M.

>> Plato was not entirely correct, you "can" migrate files, folders,

reg
>> keys, ect. and sometimes it even works. It can be done.
>>>
>>>"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
>>>news:43209ec6$0$183$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> supplied with

Works