Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Mainboard & BIOS no-longer detect HDD & CD-ROM

Mainboard & BIOS no-longer detect HDD & CD-ROM

BibBob5

I'm trying to get my daughter's older PC working so she can get on Net
when her husband is using other PC for his business.
I found CTX-PC not working after son-in-law canibalized DVD-+RW drive
and now HDD & CD-RW drive are no-longer detected by either BIOS or
Mainboard.

When PC is turned on I get normal single beep during POST then get a
"woop" (like a newer police siren) sound plus a clicking sound during
Mem-Test. Mem-Test is OK but since PC doen't see HDD, startup fails.
The woop/clicking returns periodically.

Configuration:
CTX AMD-K6-2/300
Award BIOS
StarBIOS Mainboard FC
Chipset Alladin 5
WinMe
40gb HDD

I have done following:

1. made sure master/slave settings correct;
2. checked ALL cable connections
3. tried using diagnostics:
- PC Doctor (tests will not work)
- MemTest-86 (runs for long time with no results
- Daig43 (all OK except No HDD, CD-ROM or mouse)

Any suggestion as to proving what issue is?

BibBob5

birdman

Obviously this is an old machine.
The click can be the Hard Drive Click of Death.
There is a school of thought that says a hard thwack on a stuck hard drive
may get it to spin up temporarily. What do you have to lose?
If you have a spare hard drive hook it up and see if your old beast
recognizes it and tries to boot from it.