Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer Restarts by Itself

Computer Restarts by Itself

cgott

Recently my 1 year old Compaq Presario SR1230NX has started to reboot
by itself, first when I tried to install various games, sometimes when
I'm on the internet, and sometimes when I try to shut it down thru
Windows XP. Occasionally the message "Invalid Boot Ini. File..." shows
up. Can anyone help? Athlon XP 3200 512 mb Visiontek 128 Xtasy card

Chet

That sounds like a virus that was making the rounds a year or so ago. Make
sure your A/V is up to date then run a full system scan.
"cgott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Recently my 1 year old Compaq Presario SR1230NX has started to reboot
> by itself, first when I tried to install various games, sometimes when
> I'm on the internet, and sometimes when I try to shut it down thru
> Windows XP. Occasionally the message "Invalid Boot Ini. File..." shows
> up. Can anyone help? Athlon XP 3200 512 mb Visiontek 128 Xtasy card

Duane Arnold

"cgott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1125443414.972691.118480
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Recently my 1 year old Compaq Presario SR1230NX has started to reboot
> by itself, first when I tried to install various games, sometimes when
> I'm on the internet, and sometimes when I try to shut it down thru
> Windows XP. Occasionally the message "Invalid Boot Ini. File..." shows
> up. Can anyone help? Athlon XP 3200 512 mb Visiontek 128 Xtasy card

It sounds like the machine is compromised. You should find an AV NG and
seek advice on AV and/or malware tools that can be used to detect and
eradicate an infection.

You can also look into *hardening* the XP O/S to attack a little bit.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

Duane

birdman

Unfortunately random reboots can be due to hardware problems. The main
culprits are overheating and memory problems. Impending hard drive failure
can cause this.
Memory problems can be software based, however. In addition to virus and
software scans it may be worth running a registry cleaning utility and
defragging your hard drive.

Mark Mandell

"cgott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Recently my 1 year old Compaq Presario SR1230NX has started to reboot
> by itself, first when I tried to install various games, sometimes when
> I'm on the internet, and sometimes when I try to shut it down thru
> Windows XP. Occasionally the message "Invalid Boot Ini. File..." shows
> up. Can anyone help? Athlon XP 3200 512 mb Visiontek 128 Xtasy card

Maybe the Sasser worm. But you should configure it so it stops restarting.
Go from Start to Control Panel to System, click on the Advanced Tab then
click on the Settings button next to "startup and recovery" then on the next
window, in the middle of the page remove the check next to "automatically
restart". That way, if it does restart it might trigger a BSOD which will
tell you what error is responsible.