Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > For Laptops

For Laptops

Poster 60

If you have important data on your laptop or if you travel a lot with
one you may want to consider this:

http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/

Imhotep

Poster 60 wrote:

> If you have important data on your laptop or if you travel a lot with
> one you may want to consider this:
>
> http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/

Only for windows

Plato

Poster 60 wrote:

> If you have important data on your laptop or if you travel a lot with
> one you may want to consider this:

Wont do any good once C: is wiped out by the theifs.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Poster 60

Plato wrote:
> Poster 60 wrote:
>
>>If you have important data on your laptop or if you travel a lot with
>>one you may want to consider this:

> Wont do any good once C: is wiped out by the theifs.

As noted on the learn more page:
Our patented software is hidden and virtually tamperproof, surviving
most hard drive reformats and operating system reinstallations.

Plato

Poster 60 wrote:

> >>If you have important data on your laptop or if you travel a lot with
> >>one you may want to consider this:

> > Wont do any good once C: is wiped out by the theifs.

> As noted on the learn more page:
> Our patented software is hidden and virtually tamperproof, surviving
> most hard drive reformats and operating system reinstallations.

LOL. a wipe is writing zeros to the drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

nemo_outis

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:43112d17$0$211$(E-Mail Removed):

>> > Wont do any good once C: is wiped out by the theifs.

>> As noted on the learn more page:
>> Our patented software is hidden and virtually tamperproof, surviving
>> most hard drive reformats and operating system reinstallations.

> LOL. a wipe is writing zeros to the drive.

No, not LOL. Learn before you scoff.

There are a number of schemes that use the HPA area of the disk
(essentially the HD underreports its physical size, effectively at the
hardware level, and uses the extra space for various purposes). Data
written to the HPA will survive most wiping and formatting efforts - it is
even possible to use a two-level password scheme to protect this area.

Phoenix (the BIOS folks) are pushing their HPA scheme these days (for data
recovery, not anti-theft) but there are many other schemes afoot.

Regards,

Imhotep

nemo_outis wrote:

> Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:43112d17$0$211$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> As noted on the learn more page:
>>> Our patented software is hidden and virtually tamperproof, surviving
>>> most hard drive reformats and operating system reinstallations.

>> LOL. a wipe is writing zeros to the drive.
>>

> No, not LOL. Learn before you scoff.
>
> There are a number of schemes that use the HPA area of the disk
> (essentially the HD underreports its physical size, effectively at the
> hardware level, and uses the extra space for various purposes). Data
> written to the HPA will survive most wiping and formatting efforts - it is
> even possible to use a two-level password scheme to protect this area.

It was my understanding that this area was to be used when the hard disk
gets errors. In other words, this area was to provide "extra" space
(sectors) should some sectors go bad.

> Phoenix (the BIOS folks) are pushing their HPA scheme these days (for data
> recovery, not anti-theft) but there are many other schemes afoot.
>
> Regards,

Your product is not a bad idea, but two things I would request:
1) Your web site is IE dependant, if you want me to take you seriously, you
really should change that....

2) Since you have a security product, you should think about other OSes
too...There are a lot of UNIX/linux/BSD/Mac people here...

Im

Moe Trin

In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Poster 60 wrote:

>Plato wrote:
>> Poster 60 wrote:

>>>If you have important data on your laptop or if you travel a lot with
>>>one you may want to consider this:

[STRONG aroma of snake-oil detected]

Domain Name: LOJACKFORLAPTOPS.COM
Registrant:
Juma, Amin
Absolute Software Corp.
111 Dunsmuir St.
Suite 800
Vancouver, British Columbia V6B 6A3
CA
Record created on 15-Mar-2005.

I wonder if these con-artists got permission from LoJack Corporation in
Westwood, Massachusetts (USA) to use the name - probably not

>> Wont do any good once C: is wiped out by the theifs.

or if the lap-doggy is connected behind a firewall, or doesn't have a
modem... yeah - there are a few problems. But it _looks_ like it might
do something... not sure what.

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 2,740,000 for disk encryption. (0.23
seconds)

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 832,000 for computer recovery theft. (0.28
seconds)

(The first two links are to the same company absolute.com, as is the pop-up
ad)

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 299,000 for trace stolen computer. (0.25
seconds)

>As noted on the learn more page:
> Our patented software is hidden and virtually tamperproof, surviving
>most hard drive reformats and operating system reinstallations.

[bash ]# /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=2048 count=536870912
[bash ]#

Your one Terabyte hard disk is now all zeros, INCLUDING the MBR. The
program that did that is a part of several O/S - I'd use Toms RootNBoot,
which is the whole deal on a single 3.5 inch floppy. On a 32 bit
computer, that command scales to a eight Terabyte max (expandable to
32 Terabyte with several keystrokes), which is likely to be larger than
your hard drive for the next two or three years.

If you have important data on your disk ENCRYPT THE WHOLE FREAKIN' DISK
using any of the better applications you can find above. Make sure that
you use a strong passphrase and that this passphrase is NOT stored on
the computer. Even if your lap doggy is recovered after being stolen,
how do you know that the "secret data" you have on the disk (the credit
card numbers, the passwords to that Pr0n site, what-ever) hasn't been
copied. (Is that a "Duh" moment you just had?) If you can't figure that
out, you probably should not be trusted with anything as complicated as
a digital watch, much less a computer.

] System Requirements
] * Windows XP
] * Internet Connection and/or Hayes-compatible modem
] * Internet Explorer 6 and above

Doesn't support other versions of windoze, much less any other operating
systems. Requires Intersnot Exploiter - thanks, but none of my users
are so st00pid as to trust software with back doors and exploits out the
whazoo.

Old guy

Imhotep

Moe Trin wrote:

> [...]

> you use a strong passphrase and that this passphrase is NOT stored on
> the computer. Even if your lap doggy is recovered after being stolen,
> how do you know that the "secret data" you have on the disk (the credit
> card numbers, the passwords to that Pr0n site, what-ever) hasn't been
> copied. (Is that a "Duh" moment you just had?) If you can't figure that
> out, you probably should not be trusted with anything as complicated as
> a digital watch, much less a computer.
>
> ] System Requirements
> ] * Windows XP
> ] * Internet Connection and/or Hayes-compatible modem
> ] * Internet Explorer 6 and above
>
> Doesn't support other versions of windoze, much less any other operating
> systems. Requires Intersnot Exploiter - thanks, but none of my users
> are so st00pid as to trust software with back doors and exploits out the

Ouch!!!!!! Damn don't ever get mad at me....

Im

Group Policy on Wireless laptops Matt Wireless Networking 5 11-24-2004 07:57 PM
Many dropouts when connecting two laptops Someone Beneath the Blue Sky Wireless Networking 1 11-17-2004 11:30 PM
Two laptops, no luck! =?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aGFs?= Wireless Networking 4 11-16-2004 01:16 AM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
3 laptops at home wireless help !! Walid Wireless Networking 6 06-25-2004 03:07 PM

Advertisments