Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New worm and daylight savings?

New worm and daylight savings?

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

My computer became extremely sluggish when I was connected to the
Internet. Using Taskmgr.exe I was able to identify the offending
process. It was a thing called drwtsn32.exe, found in several
locations. When I deleted the files my system began to behave
normally. I ran s)ystem f)ile C)hecker, sfc.exe, to replace the
correct file if it was a necessary MS file. This was a couple of days
ago and I've had no problems since. Does anyone know the name of the
worm/virus?

A second concern I have is what's gonna happen to our computer clocks
and the new daylight saving change? Is the fix going to reqire
changing the Bios or is it a simple program or new patch that will be
need to fix the clock.

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
rkinserlow at cox dot net
homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

Doug Schneider

That file is actually Dr. Watson for Windows, it's part of the operating
system. It's basically a debugging tool that launches automatically when
certain program errors occur. You can read about it here:

"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer became extremely sluggish when I was connected to the
> Internet. Using Taskmgr.exe I was able to identify the offending
> process. It was a thing called drwtsn32.exe, found in several
> locations. When I deleted the files my system began to behave
> normally. I ran s)ystem f)ile C)hecker, sfc.exe, to replace the
> correct file if it was a necessary MS file. This was a couple of days
> ago and I've had no problems since. Does anyone know the name of the
> worm/virus?
>
> A second concern I have is what's gonna happen to our computer clocks
> and the new daylight saving change? Is the fix going to reqire
> changing the Bios or is it a simple program or new patch that will be
> need to fix the clock.
>

> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
> Lubbock, Texas
> rkinserlow at cox dot net
> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:47:45 -0500, "Doug Schneider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>That file is actually Dr. Watson for Windows, it's part of the operating
>system. It's basically a debugging tool that launches automatically when
>certain program errors occur. You can read about it here:

If drwtsn32.exe is a system file, why didn't sfc.exe replace it after
I deleted it?

>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;308538
>
>"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My computer became extremely sluggish when I was connected to the
>> Internet. Using Taskmgr.exe I was able to identify the offending
>> process. It was a thing called drwtsn32.exe, found in several
>> locations. When I deleted the files my system began to behave
>> normally. I ran s)ystem f)ile C)hecker, sfc.exe, to replace the
>> correct file if it was a necessary MS file. This was a couple of days
>> ago and I've had no problems since. Does anyone know the name of the
>> worm/virus?
>>
>> A second concern I have is what's gonna happen to our computer clocks
>> and the new daylight saving change? Is the fix going to reqire
>> changing the Bios or is it a simple program or new patch that will be
>> need to fix the clock.
>>

>> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>> Lubbock, Texas
>> rkinserlow at cox dot net
>> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
rkinserlow at cox dot net
homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

JANA

Dr. Watson is a very important debugging tool for Windows. It automatically
keeps a log for troubleshooting the Windows operating system, and effected
applications.

Your computer was probably running slower, because there is a fault going
on. All you did was destroy the logging of it, to be able to find the
problem. If you go in to the help system for Windows, and visit the MS
site, you can read about Dr. Watson, and have an idea of how it is used.

You will now have to look up about how to extract it back from your
installation CD, so that the system can use it again.

After it is re-installed, you should be looking in to things to know why the
computer is running slow.

--

JANA
_____

[...]

Sfc.exe will only scan for and replace "protected" files. Protected files
are supposed to include all sys, dll, exe and ocx files that ship on the
Windows XP CD. Why drwtsn32.exe doesn't get replaced, I don't know, however
there are always exceptions to the rule. Reinstalling it, should you choose
to, can be done by: Start > Run > drwtsn32 -i .

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:58:16 -0400, "JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dr. Watson is a very important debugging tool for Windows. It automatically
>keeps a log for troubleshooting the Windows operating system, and effected
>applications.
>
>Your computer was probably running slower, because there is a fault going
>on. All you did was destroy the logging of it, to be able to find the
>problem. If you go in to the help system for Windows, and visit the MS
>site, you can read about Dr. Watson, and have an idea of how it is used.
>
>You will now have to look up about how to extract it back from your
>installation CD, so that the system can use it again.
>
>After it is re-installed, you should be looking in to things to know why the
>computer is running slow.

All I know is deleting all instances of drwtsn32.exe on my hard drive
seemed to solve my problem. What clued me in was there were many,
many instances of the process drwtsn32.exe showing up when I ran the
task manager. I found two instances of drwatson.exe on my hard drive,
one of them in c:\windows\system32. I am told this is not the dr
watson for windows. It does run, but all I get is a small box with
"No Faults Detected" printed in it. I notice the mickeysoft copyright
is 1990-1995.

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
rkinserlow at cox dot net
homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:54:19 -0500, "Doug Schneider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sfc.exe will only scan for and replace "protected" files. Protected files
>are supposed to include all sys, dll, exe and ocx files that ship on the
>Windows XP CD. Why drwtsn32.exe doesn't get replaced, I don't know, however
>there are always exceptions to the rule. Reinstalling it, should you choose
>to, can be done by: Start > Run > drwtsn32 -i .

When I try to run drwtsn32 -i, I get a file not found box.
drwatson.exe will run, perhaps it's the protected file.