Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Printer sharing

Printer sharing

Some One

Hi, there:

I have a desktop PC and a notebook PC (used by my partner), both
running Windows XP Howm. They are connected through a
router/switch, the desktop PC through cable, and the notebook PC
through WiFi. I also have a printer connected to the desktop PC.
It is shared within the network so the notebook PC could print
when the desktop PC is on. It is identified by the notebook as
'LaserPrt'.

So far so good.

Now I set the desktop to dual boot. The 2nd system is still
Windows XP Home. (don't ask why.) I still share the printers
using the same name 'LaserPrt'. When I boot in the new system,
the notebook recognizes the shared printer as 'LaserPrt (copy
1)'. I have to use this to print, but not 'LaserPrt'.

Is there a way to set up the desktop so that regardless which
system I boot, the notebook PC can print through a unique name? I
know a better solution would be use a print server, but we don't
print that often.

Any ideas? Thanks.

PC user.

Livewire

In article <1125034503.78301935864893376fc327389f7ac2a6@teran ews>, some1
@somewhere.net says...
> Hi, there:
>
> I have a desktop PC and a notebook PC (used by my partner), both
> running Windows XP Howm. They are connected through a
> router/switch, the desktop PC through cable, and the notebook PC
> through WiFi. I also have a printer connected to the desktop PC.
> It is shared within the network so the notebook PC could print
> when the desktop PC is on. It is identified by the notebook as
> 'LaserPrt'.
>
> So far so good.
>
> Now I set the desktop to dual boot. The 2nd system is still
> Windows XP Home. (don't ask why.) I still share the printers
> using the same name 'LaserPrt'. When I boot in the new system,
> the notebook recognizes the shared printer as 'LaserPrt (copy
> 1)'. I have to use this to print, but not 'LaserPrt'.
>
> Is there a way to set up the desktop so that regardless which
> system I boot, the notebook PC can print through a unique name? I
> know a better solution would be use a print server, but we don't
> print that often.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> PC user.

A hub/printserver cost me 7 through eBay. Money well spent.

Brian

The reason you have 2 different printers is because you are essentially
using 2 different computers by using dual boot because the printer share is
on different partitions of the same computer. The only way around this is
with a print server or a printer with a network adapter that is connected to
your router/switch