Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Newly built computer won't boot

Newly built computer won't boot

gregrjones@yahoo.com

I am building a new computer.

Upon trying to boot it, it goes to the Post Summary Display and lists
the hard drive as being a slave even though I have it's jumper set to
master in it's own dedicated IDE.

I get a 2 option menu for booting either from the hard drive or the
cd-rom. The hard-drive option will read, "No OS loaded" and the cd-rom
option will not allow me to initiate installation of Windows from the
cd.

About 3/4ths of the time that i'm booting, I don't even get to the Post
Summary Display. It will often hang on the System Check.

Sometimes the screen will read, Verifying DMI.. and then hang.

Any suggestions?

birdman

It is not clear how experienced you are at assembling these boxes.
First load just a video card, hard drive, cd (or DVD) rom and 1 memory
stick.
Ensure everything and all cables are seated properly.
Ensure the BIOS settings are set to optimal, that the hard drive is set with
the correct jumper, plugged into the correct IDE or SATA port (ditto for
your cd) and that the video card and memory stick are seated correctly. The
hard drive, presuming it is IDE should be in the primary channel and the
optical drive in the secondary channel.
If you do not have a floppy drive you must turn this off in the bios. Most
BIOS routines have an optimal setting which includes searching for a floppy
drive if there is a port for one on the motherboard.
Do not put any installation CD into the optical drive.
Your hard drive and optical drive should be recognized.
You should hear the first post beep.
If there is no operating system on the hard drive and the hardware is
working properly you should complete posting and get to the point where you
are told there is no operating system.
If you do not get to this point you have a hardware problem and could have
shorted out your motherboard or some component thereof.
If you do not understand even this level of troubleshooting it may be
cheaper in the long run to go to a local computer repair place and let them
look at what you have . . .

Plato

> Upon trying to boot it, it goes to the Post Summary Display and lists
> the hard drive as being a slave even though I have it's jumper set to
> master in it's own dedicated IDE.

Put it at the end of the cable. Set it for cable select.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/