Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Disabling XP sp2 pop-up blocker

Disabling XP sp2 pop-up blocker

John

How do you completely disable the pop-up blocker bar completely in
explorer? Did I mention the word completely? I have gone in Tools,
Pop-Up Blocker and disabled it there, but the bar keeps coming up on a
number of sites. I am quite happy using PopUp Killer and having this
running from the system tray. I don't like the bar thing in Explorer
and the funny thing it does to the mouse cursor. Microsoft have turned
my computer into a Nanny system with this sp2 version of XP.

John

SenorMoofer

go with linux completly eliminates taht problem all together
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you completely disable the pop-up blocker bar completely in
> explorer? Did I mention the word completely? I have gone in Tools,
> Pop-Up Blocker and disabled it there, but the bar keeps coming up on a
> number of sites. I am quite happy using PopUp Killer and having this
> running from the system tray. I don't like the bar thing in Explorer
> and the funny thing it does to the mouse cursor. Microsoft have turned
> my computer into a Nanny system with this sp2 version of XP.
>
> John

Duane Arnold

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ahmhg11g32ne394u6ibttrea8rcgbdo0vk@
4ax.com:

> How do you completely disable the pop-up blocker bar completely in
> explorer? Did I mention the word completely? I have gone in Tools,
> Pop-Up Blocker and disabled it there, but the bar keeps coming up on a
> number of sites. I am quite happy using PopUp Killer and having this
> running from the system tray. I don't like the bar thing in Explorer
> and the funny thing it does to the mouse cursor. Microsoft have turned
> my computer into a Nanny system with this sp2 version of XP.
>
> John

I disabled it on IE and had no problems with going to a number of sites and
having pop-ups show. I myself use Firefox (free) that is much like IE as
the default browser. It has pop-up blocking too and is more secure than IE
in the home environment. I only use IE when a site requires that IE be
used.

Duane

Fakename

That's right, then you won't have anymore IE problems. You'll have a
whole host of new problems you're even less prepared to deal with.

And while you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater why not just
get off the Internet entirely?

SenorMoofer wrote:
> go with linux completly eliminates taht problem all together
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>How do you completely disable the pop-up blocker bar completely in
>>explorer? Did I mention the word completely? I have gone in Tools,
>>Pop-Up Blocker and disabled it there, but the bar keeps coming up on a
>>number of sites. I am quite happy using PopUp Killer and having this
>>running from the system tray. I don't like the bar thing in Explorer
>>and the funny thing it does to the mouse cursor. Microsoft have turned
>>my computer into a Nanny system with this sp2 version of XP.
>>
>>John

John

>I disabled it on IE and had no problems with going to a number of sites and
>having pop-ups show. I myself use Firefox (free) that is much like IE as
>the default browser. It has pop-up blocking too and is more secure than IE
>in the home environment. I only use IE when a site requires that IE be
>used.
>
>Duane

I actually started using Firefox on an old 98se system, were I was
having lots of trouble with spyware from using Explorer.

On the two newer systems though running XP, I have both browsers on
them, but I prefer using Explorer. All my favourites are in explorer.
I wouldn't have a problem with using Firefox if adding a favourite
added it to the Favourites of both browsers, but unfortunately it
doesn't. If all the favourites could be stored in just one place I'd
happily use either browser.

Were there not a few vulnerabilities recently in Firefox though? I
seem to recall they needed to issue a big security update?

The only issue I have had with Firefox apart from not being able to
synchronise my favourites in one place, is that some sites the pages
come up funny. Mainly on secure sites. It looks a bit funny.

In Explorer I have disabled it in Tools and Pop Up Blocker, but I
still get the bar thing coming up for some sites. Pain in the ass it
is.

I think Microsoft continue to make things more nanified. I want to
choose my own security and pop up blockers I don't want *everything*
as standard from MS, and doing things I don't want it to.

As for Linux, is this not the OS for Nerds? I would rather be a
compatible conformist with Windows, and keep Bill Gates sitting on his
billions.

John

Duane Arnold

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Were there not a few vulnerabilities recently in Firefox though? I
> seem to recall they needed to issue a big security update?

There are always going to be some exploit in software such a browser or
other such Internet applications. After all, they are written by fallible
Human Beings but as long as they are being patched is what counts.

> The only issue I have had with Firefox apart from not being able to
> synchronise my favourites in one place, is that some sites the pages
> come up funny. Mainly on secure sites. It looks a bit funny.

That is why I use IE on those kind of sites.

> I think Microsoft continue to make things more nanified. I want to
> choose my own security and pop up blockers I don't want *everything*
> as standard from MS, and doing things I don't want it to.

MS has to deal with the exploits of its product.

> As for Linux, is this not the OS for Nerds? I would rather be a
> compatible conformist with Windows, and keep Bill Gates sitting on his
> billions.

Linux is being pushed to the home consumer by companies such a Novell with
SuSu Linux and others. The more competition the better it is to keep the
price down for the consumer.

Duane