Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Worm-SpyBot

Worm-SpyBot

Henry

My son downloaded a file which was identified by AVG as containing the
worm\spybot. When the warning flashed up he clicked on the continue
button thinking that the warning referred to the Spybot spyware program
we run from time to time.I forgot.

Having told AVG's resident shield to continue he then attempted to run
the file. When he received a warning message to the effect that it
wasn't a valid "exe" file referred it to me, to tell him why his program
didn't run.

I carried out a full scan which found 2 references to the worm & the
files have now been "healed"

I have read up on this worm (also called P2P-Worm.Win32.SpyBot.a), which
amongst other things can install a keyboard logger & am concerned whilst
the files may have been quarantined the result of their infiltration may
still be active on my pc.

Am I worrying unnecessarily or are their any tests I should be carrying out?

I have run another full AVG Scan, and have run a Symantic online scan,
both of which came up clear. I have also run AdAware & Spybot for adware.

I am running XP Pro & use Zonealarm.

Any adice would be greatly appreciated, please.

TIA

Pebso

I forgot. Having told AVG's resident shield to continue he then
attempted to run the file. He received a woarning message to the effect
that it wasn't a valid "exe" file and at that point referred it to me,
to tell him why his program didn't run.

Grump

Download a copy of the Free Avast AV program, then turn off your AVG
temporarily & do a boot up scan with Avast.
It seems to find a lot of items that the mainstream AV progs miss.
Grump.

"Henry" <""Henry.stable\"@btopenworld .com"> wrote in message
news:ddngq4$s52$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> My son downloaded a file which was identified by AVG as containing the
> worm\spybot. When the warning flashed up he clicked on the continue
> button thinking that the warning referred to the Spybot spyware program we
> run from time to time.I forgot.
>
> Having told AVG's resident shield to continue he then attempted to run the
> file. When he received a warning message to the effect that it wasn't a
> valid "exe" file referred it to me, to tell him why his program didn't
> run.
>
> I carried out a full scan which found 2 references to the worm & the files
> have now been "healed"
>
> I have read up on this worm (also called P2P-Worm.Win32.SpyBot.a), which
> amongst other things can install a keyboard logger & am concerned whilst
> the files may have been quarantined the result of their infiltration may
> still be active on my pc.
>
> Am I worrying unnecessarily or are their any tests I should be carrying
> out?
>
> I have run another full AVG Scan, and have run a Symantic online scan,
> both of which came up clear. I have also run AdAware & Spybot for adware.
>
> I am running XP Pro & use Zonealarm.
>
> Any adice would be greatly appreciated, please.
>
> TIA
>
> Pebso
>

> I forgot. Having told AVG's resident shield to continue he then
> attempted to run the file. He received a woarning message to the effect
> that it wasn't a valid "exe" file and at that point referred it to me,
> to tell him why his program didn't run.

Plato

Grump wrote:

> Download a copy of the Free Avast AV program, then turn off your AVG
> temporarily & do a boot up scan with Avast.
> It seems to find a lot of items that the mainstream AV progs miss.

It can also go the other way around. Note that if you are one that likes
to download and install viruses the virus may immediately disable your
current anti-virus by attaching itself to its .exe files. In fact, when
infected, it's often happens that the Second anti-virus you install has
to de-infect your current anti-virus that got attacked.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/