Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setup of new Wireless-G Access Point

Setup of new Wireless-G Access Point

Tim

I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in preparation
of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything with
wireless networks, so I have a few questions.

My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and 2
workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.

The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is setup
to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also set it
up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.

On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I specify the
IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify the IP
Address to my network's Router?

Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my local
network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to it and
not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the Access
Point?

Thanks for any info you provide!

Tim

Frank

If you set your access point up as an access point (grin - rather than as a
router), it will act just as if you were using a wire. DHCP, DNS and
gateways will work the same as they do on the rest of your wired network.
Just set your new laptop up with the same entries you set in your wired
workstations.

-Frank

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in

preparation
> of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything with
> wireless networks, so I have a few questions.
>
> My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and 2
> workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.
>
> The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is

setup
> to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also set

it
> up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.
>
> On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I specify

the
> IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify the IP
> Address to my network's Router?
>
> Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my local
> network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to it

and
> not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
> power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
> address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the Access
> Point?
>
> Thanks for any info you provide!
>
> Tim

Tim

Ahhh that answers my question. So basically it's a "wireless hub", and my
wireless workstations will receive an IP from my main router (or Win2k
server, if/when I decide to implement that option of DHCP).

This AP I have is an Access Point only, it doesn't have a router/DHCP
function built into it. My "goal" was to save a bit of money and not have to
buy a brand new router, as the one I have now isn't even 2 months old yet.

Thanks for the info

Tim

"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you set your access point up as an access point (grin - rather than as

> router), it will act just as if you were using a wire. DHCP, DNS and
> gateways will work the same as they do on the rest of your wired network.
> Just set your new laptop up with the same entries you set in your wired
> workstations.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in

> preparation
> > of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything with
> > wireless networks, so I have a few questions.
> >
> > My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and 2
> > workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.
> >
> > The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is

> setup
> > to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also set

> it
> > up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.
> >
> > On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I specify

> the
> > IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify the

IP
> > Address to my network's Router?
> >
> > Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my

local
> > network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to it

> and
> > not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
> > power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
> > address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the

Access
> > Point?
> >
> > Thanks for any info you provide!
> >
> > Tim

Jack

Hi

An Access Point(AP) cost as much as a Wireless Cable/DSL Router:
http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

So if you do not need the extras of an AP buy a Wireless Router.

Setting up Wireless: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ahhh that answers my question. So basically it's a "wireless hub", and my
> wireless workstations will receive an IP from my main router (or Win2k
> server, if/when I decide to implement that option of DHCP).
>
> This AP I have is an Access Point only, it doesn't have a router/DHCP
> function built into it. My "goal" was to save a bit of money and not have

> buy a brand new router, as the one I have now isn't even 2 months old yet.
>
> Thanks for the info
>
> Tim
>

> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you set your access point up as an access point (grin - rather than

as
> > router), it will act just as if you were using a wire. DHCP, DNS and
> > gateways will work the same as they do on the rest of your wired

network.
> > Just set your new laptop up with the same entries you set in your wired
> > workstations.
> >
> > -Frank
> >
> > "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point (WAP54G) in

> > preparation
> > > of me receiving a new laptop I've ordered. I've never done anything

with
> > > wireless networks, so I have a few questions.
> > >
> > > My network consists of a single Windows 2000 Server with 5 CAL's, and

2
> > > workstations, both running Windows XP Pro SP1.
> > >
> > > The server has DNS on it, as it's a domain controller. It's TCP/IP is

> > setup
> > > to have my Linksys Router (wired) as it's Default Gateway. I've also

set
> > it
> > > up to forward DNS queries to my ISP's DNS controllers.
> > >
> > > On the setup of the Wireless AP, it asks for my "Gateway". Do I

specify
> > the
> > > IP Address of my Server running DNS for my network, or do I specify

the
> IP
> > > Address to my network's Router?
> > >
> > > Also, can someone explain to me how an Access Point works? I got my

> local
> > > network with a router setup, all I was wanting to do is add the AP to

it
> > and
> > > not necessarily replace my existing router with another router. When I
> > > power-up my laptop, how does IP addresses work? Will it receive an IP
> > > address from my router? or will it be sharing the IP address of the

> Access
> > > Point?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any info you provide!
> > >
> > > Tim

Tim

> An Access Point(AP) cost as much as a Wireless Cable/DSL Router:
> http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

Ahhh I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Router with "Speedboost", and
it was $150 at office depot from what I remember, then I saw the Wireless-G
access point also by Linksys for $80. That's where I got my "cheaper" idea
from. But still, the AP should be better for me... as my cable modem and
router are in one room, and I can plug the AP into a wall port in one of my
other rooms that would be closer to where I'd be using the laptop most of
the time (and it'd be closer to the rear of my house so if I want to go out
back and enjoy it, I'd be free there too )

Jack

Hi.
You can find the "SpeedBooster" for half of the price that you saw.
However under the circumstances. I.e setting the AP in another room you are
better off with AP.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > An Access Point(AP) cost as much as a Wireless Cable/DSL Router:
> > http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html

> Ahhh I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Router with "Speedboost", and
> it was $150 at office depot from what I remember, then I saw the

Wireless-G
> access point also by Linksys for $80. That's where I got my "cheaper" idea
> from. But still, the AP should be better for me... as my cable modem and
> router are in one room, and I can plug the AP into a wall port in one of

my
> other rooms that would be closer to where I'd be using the laptop most of
> the time (and it'd be closer to the rear of my house so if I want to go

out
> back and enjoy it, I'd be free there too )

Bob D

I am having trouble installing the same unit (WAP54G).
Since the device has an assigned IP address, I assume that
you should be able to ping it, but I cannot even from the
wired network. Shouldn't I be able to?

--
Bob D

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Access Point

(WAP54G) in preparation

Tim

Yes, you should. Default IP for it is 192.168.1.245 with subnet mask of
255.255.255.0, so I guess the first thing is to make sure your wired network
is setup on the same subnet as well as having 192.168.1.x ip addresses
setup... (at least I would think that's how it is... haha)

What IP's are setup on your network as it is now?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...