Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Odd lockup problems

Odd lockup problems

JM

Hi, I've been fighting problems with this computer for months. I built it
for my mom before I went to college last year and I endud up spending a lot
of weekends at home trying to fix it. I had two sticks of RAM that didn't
work (I couldnt even get memtest to run on them, and I put them into another
computer and the other computer didn't do very well with them, either, so I
pitched them. Two nice corsair 512 performance sticks, too. Its a shame.)

Anyway, I figured that I would format and then reinstall everything because
maybe the RAM being messed up could have corrupted Windows or something, but
I still have the lockup problems every once in a while, but not as frequent
as before. I defiantely notice problems when I'm playing Battlefield 2, and
every couple of minutes or so the action just stops, sound effects skip and
repeat, for about 5-10 seconds, and then its nice and flawless again.

Rarely, but often enough to be a concern, my computer locks up when I'm
browsing the internet or just doing odds and ends things in Windows, like
reading txt files and stuff, but it seems to go away when I disabled ICQ
from starting up with windows. The problem with the game still happens. Im
also told that the computer locks up sometimes while buring DVDs.

One other quirk with the computer is that the printer always turns on and
spits out one sheet of paper when I boot. I dont know what in the world
would be doing this. I even RMA's the motherboard to newegg for a
replacement, thinking that the one I was shipped might be defective. It
still does it.

Here aer my specs

AMD 64 3500+
Windows XP Home
MSI nForce 3.... K8N Neo2 Platinum
GeForce 6800 GT
1GB PC3200 OCZ Ram
Antec 450W Power Supply (I bought this because the other one was
insufficient) +12v 30A
SB Audigy 2 Value

If you need any clarification I would be glad to answer. So far I've
replace the motherboard, RAM, and power supply.

Thanks in advance:
JM

JM

Anyone have any ideas?

SonicMonkey

If this mobo has a Mavell Nic try rolling back the drivers, or re
install the ones on the mobo cd. this is what my comp was doing when i
was using the new drivers.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:14:39 -0400, "JM" <abcdef@hijkcom> wrote:

>Anyone have any ideas?

Odd behavior with odd code Michael Speer C Programming 33 02-18-2007 07:31 AM
Canon 20D lockup problems Jerry Digital Photography 58 09-30-2004 10:45 PM
WIC-1DSU-56K4 lockup James Cisco 0 06-15-2004 06:19 PM
Re: Keyboard lockup at "welcome to setup" screen windows 2000/xp Andrew Clancy ASP .Net 0 07-18-2003 01:16 PM
J2ME Network Problems, Network Lockup after 13+ GETs Bill Volk Java 1 07-02-2003 07:57 PM

Advertisments