Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Configuration question

Configuration question

Darth Mura

This is the first time I've tried building a system and I need some
advice.

First you should know that I'm not at all interested in the backend
of computers, don't like to tinker, and if I had my way would by a
preconfigured machine. The problem is that here in Japan all
preconfigured systems come with Japanese language software. The only
options seem to be to build your own, or have a third party ship me a
computer from NA or Europe.

I've found a company that let's you build your own computer by
selecting from a list of components. After a few hours researching
parts, this is what I've come up with:

Processor: AMD Athlon64 3800+ (939pin)
Processor FAN: Silent CPU Fan & Case Fan
Memory: DDR SDRAM 1GB (PC3200/512MB x2)
Hard drive: (200GB) Seagate ST3200822AS
Motherboard: (nForce4 SLI) ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Video card: nVIDIA Geforce 6600GT 128MB (PCI-E/DVI/TV-OUT)
Sound card: CREATIVE SB Audigy2 Value Edition (OEM)
CD-ROM/RW/DVD: DVD Multi Drive Panasonic LF-M821JD (DVD(+/-)R 16x/-RAM
5x/Ivory)
Power supply unit: EVERGREEN SilentKing3 500W
Hard drive (additional): (200GB) Seagate ST3200822AS
Firewire IEEE1394: LowProfile PCI IEEE1394 Card
Operating System: MS Windows XP Home Edition ENGLISH OEM

Unit price: JP¥ 211,478 / US$ 1,918.12

Most of my choices were a couple of steps down from the highest
performing and most expensive components. I'm not after a hot rod,
but a dependable machine that will last me 3-5 years.

Two things I'd like to ask about:

1. Firewire - this is one of the options available but I can't say
I ever heard of it nor ever needed it. If I haven't used it yet, is
likely I'll need to in the future?
2. Optical drive - I've gone after the biggest and best here, but
what kind of drive should I get as a complement for copying cds/dvds?

Any comments, recommendations, warnings or advice would be greatly
appreciated.

All the best from Japan,

DM

Peter Mark

Fire wire is a competitor to USB, only faster. If you have USB use USB. If
you need speed add FW. Can't help much with the best drive. Pick your
favorite brand. Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...