Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > AVG Free AV Safe?

AVG Free AV Safe?

Edge

I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
not contain spyware itself?

TIA

Fakename

AVG is great. I've used it for years.

Edge wrote:
> I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
> machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
> couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
> not contain spyware itself?
>
> TIA

Goofy_56_096

AVG works, at least from what I've seen on two systems; one at work and one
at home. My old home system seems to be OK with AVG. It's an AMD266,
Windows 98se, 32Mb EDO (remember that?), 2Mb video, 2Gb (slow) HD. It takes
longer (1 minute +-) to load AVG than the 3Gig system at work, but that
would be comparing apples and oranges. And it's going to get worse. You
can still use old programs on old machines, but anti-virus and other
"protection" programs must get smarter (i.e. more coding) to do their job.
Eventually, these programs will choke the older systems simply because they
can't handle it. I'll probably keep the old beast just to play old games
and keep it off the internet. It's too slow for it now.

"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yVJJe.568861$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
> machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
> couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
> not contain spyware itself?
>
> TIA

GregRo

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:23:26 GMT, "Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
>machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
>couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
>not contain spyware itself?
>
>TIA

I think avast would work better than avg. Not sure if they still have
a win95 version.

Greg Ro

The One

"GregRo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:23:26 GMT, "Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
> >machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
> >couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
> >not contain spyware itself?
> >
> >TIA
> >

> I think avast would work better than avg. Not sure if they still have
> a win95 version.
>
> Greg Ro

I have recently changed to avast as AVG had issues with deleting potential
virus's.

Capt. KillaHo

"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yVJJe.568861$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
> machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
> couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
> not contain spyware itself?
>
> TIA

AVG use to be free, I dunno if it is anymore. Avast is free, and IMO better.

k35454

"Capt. KillaHo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsY6Me.4664$H_4.1518@trnddc07...

"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yVJJe.568861$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
> machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
> couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
> not contain spyware itself?
>
> TIA

AVG use to be free, I dunno if it is anymore. Avast is free, and IMO better.

AVG says it has a free version, but I was unable to find the
download point as it was concealed by endless plugs (no pun intended !!) for
the paid version. I settled for AntiVir, which is probably just as well.
k35454.

derek / nul

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:00:03 -0700, "k35454" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Capt. KillaHo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsY6Me.4664$H_4.1518@trnddc07...
>
>"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:yVJJe.568861$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am thinking of running AVG Free with Win95 and IE 5.5 128 Bit Yes,
>> machine is an oldie, I am nursing it along until I get a replacement in a
>> couple of weeks. Has AVG Free proven to be a legit and safe AV that does
>> not contain spyware itself?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>AVG use to be free, I dunno if it is anymore. Avast is free, and IMO better.
>
> AVG says it has a free version, but I was unable to find the
>download point as it was concealed by endless plugs (no pun intended !!) for
>the paid version. I settled for AntiVir, which is probably just as well.
>k35454.

I run the free version here now, you need to look harder.

bambam

"k35454" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> AVG says it has a free version, but I was unable to find the
> download point as it was concealed by endless plugs (no pun intended
> !!) for the paid version. I settled for AntiVir, which is probably
> just as well.

AVG is easy found!

1. Go to the AVG main page- http://www.grisoft.com

2. In the left column click "AVG Products"

3. From the resulting drop down click "AVG Free Edition"

4. On the new page under the heading "Download" click "AVG Free Website"

5. Click "Download your AVG free"

6. Click "avg70free_338a597.exe"

Or this direct link-

http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free...ee_338a597.exe

todd@softhome.net

AVG should work ok. I prefer Avast. And I prefer Windows 95b over
anything Microsoft has come up with since. It just runs without
crashing, requires less memory, and it really cooks on a 2Ghz system

I've done the updates (this saves a lot of time with finding updates
and installing them all at once http://on-disk.com/95optipack.html )

Throw on the Open Office 1.03 Legacy Build (available at
http://openoffice.org) and Mozilla (http://mozilla.org) {note: Firefox
requires Win98, but Mozilla run great on Win95}....and you have a
modern desktop operating system.