Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problem with USB downstream ports on new Dell monitor

Problem with USB downstream ports on new Dell monitor

MaryL

I just got a new Dell system for my office. The secretary places all
orders, and I did not see the specs before the order was placed and had no
input in the decision. The CPU is an Opliplex GX280. The monitor is 19"
and can swivel to either horizontal or vertical (sorry, I don't have the
model number at home). This seems to be an excellent system in most ways
and it performs well. However, there is only one strangely-positioned USB
port on the front of the CPU. It is parallel to the CPU instead of
vertical, and I almost have to stand on my head to see where to insert
anything. It is apparently meant only for one of those memory sticks.
There are 3 USB ports on the back, but that is awkward to use. There are
also 2 USB ports on the side of the monitor. Those would seem to be the
logical ones to use -- but, so far, nothing that I have tried has worked
with those ports. I called Dell and spend about 1-1/2 hours with the first
technician, and he also had me run the diagnostics program (another 45
minutes). He didn't have any answers. On the other hand, he seemed to know
very *little* about anything. I called the next day, and the tech I
contacted told me that the ports on monitors "sometimes work and sometimes
they don't." I informed him that it was a pretty poor decision if Dell
really sent out new equipment knowing that the ports "might or might not"
work.

Can anyone help? Do you know of any settings I should try? There is
absolutely *no* documentation with this computer, and it is awkward trying
to work my way through Dell's online support because there does not appear
to be one manual where I could search alphabetically. Instead, there are
numerous little modules of information (none helpful, so far). There was a
one-page set of instructions for setup, and that page identified the two
ports on the side of the monitor as "USB downstream" devices.

Thanks,
MaryL

Fakename

Can you include a picture?

MaryL wrote:
> I just got a new Dell system for my office. The secretary places all
> orders, and I did not see the specs before the order was placed and had no
> input in the decision. The CPU is an Opliplex GX280. The monitor is 19"
> and can swivel to either horizontal or vertical (sorry, I don't have the
> model number at home). This seems to be an excellent system in most ways
> and it performs well. However, there is only one strangely-positioned USB
> port on the front of the CPU. It is parallel to the CPU instead of
> vertical, and I almost have to stand on my head to see where to insert
> anything. It is apparently meant only for one of those memory sticks.
> There are 3 USB ports on the back, but that is awkward to use. There are
> also 2 USB ports on the side of the monitor. Those would seem to be the
> logical ones to use -- but, so far, nothing that I have tried has worked
> with those ports. I called Dell and spend about 1-1/2 hours with the first
> technician, and he also had me run the diagnostics program (another 45
> minutes). He didn't have any answers. On the other hand, he seemed to know
> very *little* about anything. I called the next day, and the tech I
> contacted told me that the ports on monitors "sometimes work and sometimes
> they don't." I informed him that it was a pretty poor decision if Dell
> really sent out new equipment knowing that the ports "might or might not"
> work.
>
> Can anyone help? Do you know of any settings I should try? There is
> absolutely *no* documentation with this computer, and it is awkward trying
> to work my way through Dell's online support because there does not appear
> to be one manual where I could search alphabetically. Instead, there are
> numerous little modules of information (none helpful, so far). There was a
> one-page set of instructions for setup, and that page identified the two
> ports on the side of the monitor as "USB downstream" devices.
>
> Thanks,
> MaryL

Plato

MaryL wrote:

> There are 3 USB ports on the back, but that is awkward to use. There are
> also 2 USB ports on the side of the monitor. Those would seem to be the

Most likely an usb hub.

> contacted told me that the ports on monitors "sometimes work and sometimes
> they don't." I informed him that it was a pretty poor decision if Dell

True. Many devices dont like usb hubs.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/