Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > De-frag / Scandisk problems

De-frag / Scandisk problems

KJAYW

Hi

I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

Thanks

KJAYW

k35454

"KJAYW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yW9Je.122485$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
Hi

I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

Thanks

KJAYW

Try in Safe Mode. k35454.

Kenny

Try both in Safe Mode.

--

Kenny Cargill

"k35454" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "KJAYW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yW9Je.122485$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
> Hi
>
> I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
> operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
> 'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.
>
> Thanks
>
> KJAYW
>
> Try in Safe Mode. k35454.

k35454

But do Scandisk FIRST. k35454.
news:dd49cv$rr$(E-Mail Removed)...
Try both in Safe Mode.

--

Kenny Cargill

"k35454" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "KJAYW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yW9Je.122485$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
> Hi
>
> I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
> operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
> 'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.
>
> Thanks
>
> KJAYW
>
> Try in Safe Mode. k35454.

Plato

KJAYW wrote:

> I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
> operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
> 'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.

What size HDD?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Capt. KillaHo

"KJAYW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yW9Je.122485$(E-Mail Removed) o.uk...
> Hi
>
> I have windows 98 SE and recently discovered that de-frag function won't
> operate. When I try Scandisk, this also fails - keeps switching from
> 'Checking folders' to 'Checking allocation tables'.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is wrong & what I need to do to sort it.
>
> Thanks
>
> KJAYW

Before you defrag make sure you hit control+alt+delete and close out any
running programs except "explore". Make sure you shut off your screen saver
too, any program that kicks in while your are defraging (ex.screensaver)
will reset your back to the start.