Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > mac-mini?

mac-mini?

bob

anybody have one? anybody have anything to say about one?

bob

bob

lol...good one.

bob

"Fakename" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> They're moddable...
>
> bob wrote:
>> anybody have one? anybody have anything to say about one?
>>
>> bob

Joe

I spend about 80 hours a week in front of a computer between work and home
with the time spent about equally between Macs and PCs and like one as well
as the other for certain things so I feel qualified to answer this.

Why do you have an interest in one?

I do not get this computer and why apple ever released it. It was outdated
technology the day it was released as the G5s which are far faster had been
out for over a year.

I suppose this would be an OK computer for someone with an older Mac that
could not afford the cost of a new G5 and still had Mac software that they
wanted to use.

If this is not about preserving the use of existing Mac software or
unwillingness to learn Windows I say buy a PC as you can get a faster one
for less.

Joe

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L7RHe.30702$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> anybody have one? anybody have anything to say about one?
>
> bob

Fakename

I'll tell you why I think they released it.

Apple probably said to itself: " Some people want their computer for
instant messaging, email, music, web surfing, and creating the
occasional letter or spreadsheet. They could care less about 3D gaming,
programming, video editing, etc... Those people are currently buying
cheap Dell computers.

So why not have them do that stuff on a cheap Mac?"

$$ CHA-CHING $$

They get product exposure and sales where there was none before. People
get to use a nice product. Everybody wins.

At least that's my take on it.

> I'll tell you why I think they released it.
>
> Apple probably said to itself: " Some people want their computer for
> instant messaging, email, music, web surfing, and creating the occasional
> letter or spreadsheet. They could care less about 3D gaming, programming,
> video editing, etc... Those people are currently buying cheap Dell
> computers.
>
> So why not have them do that stuff on a cheap Mac?"

now, now, you've hit the nail on the head why i use a computer.. (1) email
(2) web surfing (3) looking at some dig pics i take (4) the occasional
spreadsheet/word doc..i'm afraid i work far too many hrs/wk to have free
time for computer "gaming"....

now why would someone like me need to spend more than $500 on a computer?

bob

> $$ CHA-CHING $$
>
> They get product exposure and sales where there was none before. People
> get to use a nice product. Everybody wins.
>
> At least that's my take on it.
>

> Joe wrote:
>> I spend about 80 hours a week in front of a computer between work and
>> home with the time spent about equally between Macs and PCs and like one
>> as well as the other for certain things so I feel qualified to answer
>> this.
>>
>> Why do you have an interest in one?
>>
>> I do not get this computer and why apple ever released it. It was
>> outdated technology the day it was released as the G5s which are far
>> faster had been out for over a year.
>>
>> I suppose this would be an OK computer for someone with an older Mac that
>> could not afford the cost of a new G5 and still had Mac software that
>> they wanted to use.
>>
>> If this is not about preserving the use of existing Mac software or
>> unwillingness to learn Windows I say buy a PC as you can get a faster
>> one for less.
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> "bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:L7RHe.30702$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>
>>>anybody have one? anybody have anything to say about one?
>>>
>>>bob

bob

news:btVHe.4569$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I spend about 80 hours a week in front of a computer between work and home
>with the time spent about equally between Macs and PCs and like one as well
>as the other for certain things so I feel qualified to answer this.
>
> Why do you have an interest in one?

it's small, cheap, simple..and that's what i was looking for ina computer..i
was hoping to put out $400 for a nice 19" monitor, and for $900 have a nice
simple reliable system, virus free?

bob

> I do not get this computer and why apple ever released it. It was outdated
> technology the day it was released as the G5s which are far faster had
> been out for over a year.
>
> I suppose this would be an OK computer for someone with an older Mac that
> could not afford the cost of a new G5 and still had Mac software that they
> wanted to use.
>
> If this is not about preserving the use of existing Mac software or
> unwillingness to learn Windows I say buy a PC as you can get a faster one
> for less.
>
> Joe
>
> "bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:L7RHe.30702$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> anybody have one? anybody have anything to say about one?
>>
>> bob

Fakename

You could spend that much on a nice LCD monitor. So why would you NEED
to? You wouldn't.

bob wrote:
> "Fakename" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>I'll tell you why I think they released it.
>>
>>Apple probably said to itself: " Some people want their computer for
>>instant messaging, email, music, web surfing, and creating the occasional
>>letter or spreadsheet. They could care less about 3D gaming, programming,
>>video editing, etc... Those people are currently buying cheap Dell
>>computers.
>>
>>So why not have them do that stuff on a cheap Mac?"

> now, now, you've hit the nail on the head why i use a computer.. (1) email
> (2) web surfing (3) looking at some dig pics i take (4) the occasional
> spreadsheet/word doc..i'm afraid i work far too many hrs/wk to have free
> time for computer "gaming"....
>
> now why would someone like me need to spend more than $500 on a computer?
>
> bob
>

>>$$ CHA-CHING $$
>>
>>They get product exposure and sales where there was none before. People
>>get to use a nice product. Everybody wins.
>>
>>At least that's my take on it.
>>

>>Joe wrote:
>>
>>>I spend about 80 hours a week in front of a computer between work and
>>>home with the time spent about equally between Macs and PCs and like one
>>>as well as the other for certain things so I feel qualified to answer
>>>this.
>>>
>>>Why do you have an interest in one?
>>>
>>>I do not get this computer and why apple ever released it. It was
>>>outdated technology the day it was released as the G5s which are far
>>>faster had been out for over a year.
>>>
>>>I suppose this would be an OK computer for someone with an older Mac that
>>>could not afford the cost of a new G5 and still had Mac software that
>>>they wanted to use.
>>>
>>>If this is not about preserving the use of existing Mac software or
>>>unwillingness to learn Windows I say buy a PC as you can get a faster
>>>one for less.
>>>
>>>Joe
>>>
>>>"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:L7RHe.30702$(E-Mail Removed). com...

Joe

Fakename wrote in part

> Some people want their computer for instant messaging, email, music, web
> surfing, and creating the occasional letter or spreadsheet.

And for any of those things I would use a PC especially instant messaging,
email, and web surfing. I use a Dual 1.8 G5 mac at work and have sitting
right next to it an Athlon socket A 2500 barton core PC and I move back and
forth all day. Any time I am going to do the internet I go to the PC as it
sucks on the Mac.

Joe