Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Question about a USB 2.0 hub

Question about a USB 2.0 hub

Josell Paredes

I recently purchased a 4 port USB 2.0 hub. When I plug my USB devices
through it, everything is extremely slow, external hard drives etc. When I
plug directly back to my laptop it flies. I don't understand if the hub is
2.0 why is it so slow, I thought it was supposed to be the same speed???

Thanks in advance!

Josell Paredes

Fakename

does it have a seperate power supply?

Josell Paredes wrote:
> I recently purchased a 4 port USB 2.0 hub. When I plug my USB devices
> through it, everything is extremely slow, external hard drives etc. When I
> plug directly back to my laptop it flies. I don't understand if the hub is
> 2.0 why is it so slow, I thought it was supposed to be the same speed???
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Josell Paredes

Josell Paredes

No it DOES NOT!
"Fakename" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> does it have a seperate power supply?
>
> Josell Paredes wrote:
>> I recently purchased a 4 port USB 2.0 hub. When I plug my USB devices
>> through it, everything is extremely slow, external hard drives etc. When
>> I plug directly back to my laptop it flies. I don't understand if the
>> hub is 2.0 why is it so slow, I thought it was supposed to be the same
>> speed???
>>

>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Josell Paredes

Fakename

Then I would question if it is really at 2.0 unit.

The reason I say that is a while ago I was shopping for a USB hub and
there was one on Tiger that I liked. The only problem is that people
were saying it was incorrectly labeled as a 2.0 hub and was really a
1.1. Some people were saying that the lack of a power supply is a dead
give away. So I'm not sure if the lack of PS marks it as a <2.0 unit,
but it might.

Josell Paredes wrote:
> No it DOES NOT!
> "Fakename" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>does it have a seperate power supply?
>>
>>Josell Paredes wrote:
>>
>>>I recently purchased a 4 port USB 2.0 hub. When I plug my USB devices
>>>through it, everything is extremely slow, external hard drives etc. When
>>>I plug directly back to my laptop it flies. I don't understand if the
>>>hub is 2.0 why is it so slow, I thought it was supposed to be the same
>>>speed???
>>>

>>>Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>>Josell Paredes

Dr. Bill

Josell Paredes wrote:
> No it DOES NOT!

But is there a possibility to use an external powersupply, a DC jack? If not
then it's a 1.1 USB hub, cos you need a +5V 2.2A adapter.