Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Bandwidth Distribution?

Bandwidth Distribution?

John

I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
'unevenly' on a home network?

So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

Cheers

John

Sean

John wrote:
> I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
> 'unevenly' on a home network?
>
> So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
> computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
> 256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
> computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

There is some software called Netlimiter which you can use on each
machine, but of course anyone on the machine can change the speed settings.

It also lets you set speed for different applications on your
machine.....check it out netlimiter.com

wooosh

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dch059$uk4$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> John wrote:
>> I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
>> 'unevenly' on a home network?
>>
>> So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
>> computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
>> 256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
>> computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

Get a router which has bandwidth management.

I think some of the Draytek rage do this.

Paul

Steve

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
> 'unevenly' on a home network?
>
> So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
> computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
> 256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
> computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

It is possible to do what you are wanting, but it can only be done with
either a router that has the facility to control bandwidth, or by using a
computer running a proxy server. I do it with the latter. Basically I can
setup a number of accounts (1 for each computer) and have each computer
assigned a certain amount of bandwidth. It has worked here fine for over a
year. There is no way of getting around the limit this way if it is set up
correctly. Of course my option requires a computer to stay switched on
24/7, but this is not a problem here as I have a webserver and several other
things running on a computer that does stay switched on all the time.

Steve

Sean

Steve wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
>>'unevenly' on a home network?
>>
>>So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
>>computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
>>256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
>>computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>John
>>

> It is possible to do what you are wanting, but it can only be done with
> either a router that has the facility to control bandwidth, or by using a
> computer running a proxy server. I do it with the latter. Basically I can
> setup a number of accounts (1 for each computer) and have each computer
> assigned a certain amount of bandwidth. It has worked here fine for over a
> year. There is no way of getting around the limit this way if it is set up
> correctly. Of course my option requires a computer to stay switched on
> 24/7, but this is not a problem here as I have a webserver and several other
> things running on a computer that does stay switched on all the time.
>
> Steve

Can you let me know how to set up a proxy server?

Please e-mail me.... remove NOSPAM.

Cheerz

Chris

In article <dcljbv$frm$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net>,
> Can you let me know how to set up a proxy server?

If you're au fait with unix, or variant, you can install squid. Google
will be your friend in setting this up. It's not for the novice though.

Mike Scott

wooosh wrote:
>>>I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
>>>'unevenly' on a home network?
>>>
>>>So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
>>>computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
>>>256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
>>>computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?
>>>

> Get a router which has bandwidth management.

Or run a linux/xxxBSD box as gateway/router and use traffic shaping on
that. There are other advantages too.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)

Fakename

The length of time it takes to become profecient at using it is NOT one
of them.

Fakename wrote:
> The length of time it takes to become profecient at using it is NOT one
> of them.

Agreed. But the OP asked for options and specified no restrictions. As
I said though, there are other advantages - considerable IMO.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)

bandwidth test Vernon Firefox 5 10-08-2005 10:51 PM
Uninstalling Bandwidth Tester JDT Firefox 2 02-27-2005 11:13 PM
Client's Bandwidth Ohad Wireless Networking 2 12-29-2004 03:51 PM
Re: Restrict Bandwidth to users Jack Wireless Networking 0 09-10-2004 11:35 PM
WiFi Bandwidth issue TJ Wireless Networking 2 07-20-2004 02:03 AM

Advertisments