Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > "trojan horse" virus attack?

"trojan horse" virus attack?

MNguyen

I am having problem over and over again with this "trojan virus" does
anyone has the same problem? What with this virus that locking my "programs
folder" and "windows NT" files. I had to do a clean re-install to get rid
of this virus. I am using "AVG virus" software now and it seems to catch
this virus.

Any comment on this virus please?

Max Wachtel

"MNguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:NwYFe.5039$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am having problem over and over again with this "trojan virus"
> does anyone has the same problem? What with this virus that
> locking my "programs folder" and "windows NT" files. I had to do
> a clean re-install to get rid of this virus. I am using "AVG
> virus" software now and it seems to catch this virus.
>
> Any comment on this virus please?

You need more protection than just an AV can provide.
I have written some pages to help you.Keeping Windows Clean-
http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
-max
--
"VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler

none

How do you get this virus? If you disable the "download" within "internet
explorer" and "custom setting", does that alone stop the virus from getting
in?

"Max Wachtel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96A18D069AF7maxpro4unomailafraid@204.153.2 44.170...
> "MNguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:NwYFe.5039$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I am having problem over and over again with this "trojan virus"
> > does anyone has the same problem? What with this virus that
> > locking my "programs folder" and "windows NT" files. I had to do
> > a clean re-install to get rid of this virus. I am using "AVG
> > virus" software now and it seems to catch this virus.
> >
> > Any comment on this virus please?
> >

> You need more protection than just an AV can provide.
> I have written some pages to help you.Keeping Windows Clean-
> http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
> -max
> --
> "VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
> Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler
> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
> Change nomail.afraid.org to yahoo.com to reply.
> Registered Linux User #393236

Duane Arnold

"none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:nq3Ge.5436$(E-Mail Removed):

> How do you get this virus? If you disable the "download" within
> "internet explorer" and "custom setting", does that alone stop the
> virus from getting in?

No, disabling *downloads* will help but it will not stop an attack on the
machine using IE, because there are other ways to download malware to the
machine through IE such as ActiveX control that IE uses. You should set the
IE setting to only use signed ActiveX controls, which can help in the
prevention of IE executing dubious ActiveX controls.

You can use Firefox (free) as your default browser, which is a less
attackable browser than IE that works similarly to IE. You can use IE only
when a site calls for the use of IE for the site to work.

Duane

Max Wachtel

"none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:nq3Ge.5436$(E-Mail Removed):

> How do you get this virus?

What "virus" are you talking about?

> If you disable the "download" within
> "internet explorer" and "custom setting", does that alone stop the
> virus from getting in?

No

> "Max Wachtel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns96A18D069AF7maxpro4unomailafraid@204.153.2 44.170...
>> "MNguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:NwYFe.5039$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I am having problem over and over again with this "trojan
>> > virus" does anyone has the same problem? What with this virus
>> > that locking my "programs folder" and "windows NT" files. I
>> > had to do a clean re-install to get rid of this virus. I am
>> > using "AVG virus" software now and it seems to catch this
>> > virus.
>> >
>> > Any comment on this virus please?
>> >

>> You need more protection than just an AV can provide.
>> I have written some pages to help you.Keeping Windows Clean-
>> http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
>> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

What steps have you taken so far?
-max
--
"VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler
Registered Linux User #393236

news

I have installed:
1/ I have installed "spybot Search and destroy"
2/ Microsoft "Antispyware"
3/ AVG anitivirus
set internet security "custom level" not download
active X control prompt

I am running windows 2000.

I had virus attach with just AVG antivirus. Since that does not work, I
have istalled Antispyware follow by search and destroy. I am wondering if
that ia enough to stop this "trojan horse"?

"Max Wachtel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96A195BA15572maxpro4unomailafraid@204.153. 244.170...
> "none" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:nq3Ge.5436$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > How do you get this virus?

> What "virus" are you talking about?
>
> > If you disable the "download" within
> > "internet explorer" and "custom setting", does that alone stop the
> > virus from getting in?

> No
>
> > "Max Wachtel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns96A18D069AF7maxpro4unomailafraid@204.153.2 44.170...
> >> "MNguyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> news:NwYFe.5039$(E-Mail Removed):

> >> You need more protection than just an AV can provide.
> >> I have written some pages to help you.Keeping Windows Clean-
> >> http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
> >> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

> What steps have you taken so far?
> -max
> --
> "VISTA" is an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
> Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. -PanHandler
> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
> Change nomail.afraid.org to yahoo.com to reply.
> Registered Linux User #393236

Max Wachtel

"news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:HApGe.6460$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have installed:
> 1/ I have installed "spybot Search and destroy"
> 2/ Microsoft "Antispyware"
> 3/ AVG anitivirus
> set internet security "custom level" not download
> active X control prompt
>
> I am running windows 2000.
>
> I had virus attach with just AVG antivirus. Since that does not
> work, I have istalled Antispyware follow by search and destroy. I
> am wondering if that ia enough to stop this "trojan horse"?

Read throughly the pages I wrote-

Keeping Windows Clean-
http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html

Post back exact results from each scan.
-max
Registered Linux User #393236

news

Thx for the info, is this a free install? Will the software remain active
after the virus is completely removed from the system and the software
continue to protect the system from getting it back again?

I am cleaning the computer again even if I have to do a clean install, I
will. Will keep you posted.

Thx again for responding

"Max Wachtel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96A2D0D598BA2maxpro4unomailafraid@204.153. 244.170...
> "news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:HApGe.6460$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have installed:
> > 1/ I have installed "spybot Search and destroy"
> > 2/ Microsoft "Antispyware"
> > 3/ AVG anitivirus
> > set internet security "custom level" not download
> > active X control prompt
> >
> > I am running windows 2000.
> >
> > I had virus attach with just AVG antivirus. Since that does not
> > work, I have istalled Antispyware follow by search and destroy. I
> > am wondering if that ia enough to stop this "trojan horse"?
> >

> Read throughly the pages I wrote-
>
> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
>
> Keeping Windows Clean-
> http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
>
> Post back exact results from each scan.
> -max
> --
> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
> Change nomail.afraid.org to yahoo.com to reply.
> Registered Linux User #393236

Max Wachtel

"news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8lCGe.6913$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thx for the info, is this a free install? Will the software remain
> active after the virus is completely removed from the system and
> the software continue to protect the system from getting it back
> again?
>
> I am cleaning the computer again even if I have to do a clean
> install, I will. Will keep you posted.
>
> Thx again for responding

*********Middle Posted For Maximum Confusion***********************

Most of the software I have listed on my site is free for personal
use.
Spybot Search+Destroy has a "resident" monitor called TeaTimer and
must be updated manually.
Spyware Blaster runs all the time. You must update manually.
Microsoft AntiSpyware monitors also and has an auto-update feature.
The other programs I mention are "on-demand" scanners.These should be
run at least once a month(I run them weekly)and need to be updated
before each use.
The script blockers(script defender,script sentry) run all the time.
You should start using a more secure browser and e-mail client.
Also you need to learn about "safe-hex".
-max

> "Max Wachtel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns96A2D0D598BA2maxpro4unomailafraid@204.153. 244.170...
>> "news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:HApGe.6460$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I have installed:
>> > 1/ I have installed "spybot Search and destroy"
>> > 2/ Microsoft "Antispyware"
>> > 3/ AVG anitivirus
>> > set internet security "custom level" not download
>> > active X control prompt
>> >
>> > I am running windows 2000.
>> >
>> > I had virus attach with just AVG antivirus. Since that does
>> > not work, I have istalled Antispyware follow by search and
>> > destroy. I am wondering if that ia enough to stop this "trojan
>> > horse"?
>> >

>> Read throughly the pages I wrote-
>>
>> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
>>
>> Keeping Windows Clean-
>> http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html

Registered Linux User #393236

news

Well I have managed to keep "trojan" out using spybot _search and destroy"
this time I also disable active X so it is a pain for now until I see how
this is going. Last attach was with "Spy Sherrif" kept loaded on my PC
requesting a scan. I have tried to remove "spy sherrif" several times but
I could not unless I remove "microsoft antispyware" at the same time with
"Spy sherrif". So look like "spy sherrif" is a problem software that is
nesting with "antispyware"

thx for the info again.

news:Xns96A38D1B8CAB7maxpro4unomailafraid@204.153. 244.170...