Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help ~ How to recover/format hard disk??

Help ~ How to recover/format hard disk??

EL

I have an IBM PC which konks off now and then. Since the DVD Rom drive is
not working, I have problem to get the PC to read the boot disk (ie the IBM
recovery disk) to reset the machine.

I do have an external CD writer & am wondering what can I do to get the PC
to boot from this external device instead?

Anybody can help?

Thx ahead.

EL

pcbutts1

EL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an IBM PC which konks off now and then.

What is an ibm pc good for?

> Since the DVD Rom drive is not working, I have problem to get the PC to
> read the boot disk (ie the IBM recovery disk) to reset the machine.

Wow, who hasn't, EL.

> I do have an external CD writer & am wondering what can I do to get the
> PC to boot from this external device instead?

I bet you do!

> Anybody can help?

You will have to look elsewhere for help.

> Thx ahead.

Reread your statement.

> EL.

Classic erroneous presupposition by someone who is overbearing, EL.

Brian

Check your bios settings and see if you can select the external device as a
bootable device then try booting to the recovery cd. The bios should have
boot options available, otherwise replace the DVD drive (and hard drive if
it's knocking) and try again.