Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > ADSL Connection Help

ADSL Connection Help

John

Hello.

The ADSL company I was with recently got taken over by another
company, and because nobody told me anything about this I lost my
connection as a result.

I have change the settings to what they have said, and after checking
the software for my ADSL modem/router, it is definitely connected to
the ISP with the new settings okay, however I can still not get
anything in Internet Explorer.

I believe that there is some issue between the ADSL modem/router and
the computer. I believe perhaps the firewall may be one explanation
and it may be blocking the new settings? If you can help with any
suggestions of what to do I'd be very grateful. The customer service
people from the ISP couldn't help me any further because they didn't
have a similar router to mine to be able to, and it appears it is a
client side issue as the modem is connecting to them.

Cheers

John

Duane Arnold

John wrote:

> Hello.
>
> The ADSL company I was with recently got taken over by another
> company, and because nobody told me anything about this I lost my
> connection as a result.
>
> I have change the settings to what they have said, and after checking
> the software for my ADSL modem/router, it is definitely connected to
> the ISP with the new settings okay, however I can still not get
> anything in Internet Explorer.
>
> I believe that there is some issue between the ADSL modem/router and
> the computer. I believe perhaps the firewall may be one explanation
> and it may be blocking the new settings? If you can help with any
> suggestions of what to do I'd be very grateful. The customer service
> people from the ISP couldn't help me any further because they didn't
> have a similar router to mine to be able to, and it appears it is a
> client side issue as the modem is connecting to them.

Well, it would be helpfull to know what O/S you're talking about. If you
have been told that the modem/router is connecting to the ISP successfully,
then the modem/router and its FW like features are not the problem.

What error messages are you getting back from IE and can you send/recv
emails?

Duane

John

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:20:52 GMT, A strange species called Duane
Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> The ADSL company I was with recently got taken over by another
>> company, and because nobody told me anything about this I lost my
>> connection as a result.
>>
>> I have change the settings to what they have said, and after checking
>> the software for my ADSL modem/router, it is definitely connected to
>> the ISP with the new settings okay, however I can still not get
>> anything in Internet Explorer.
>>
>> I believe that there is some issue between the ADSL modem/router and
>> the computer. I believe perhaps the firewall may be one explanation
>> and it may be blocking the new settings? If you can help with any
>> suggestions of what to do I'd be very grateful. The customer service
>> people from the ISP couldn't help me any further because they didn't
>> have a similar router to mine to be able to, and it appears it is a
>> client side issue as the modem is connecting to them.
>>

>Well, it would be helpfull to know what O/S you're talking about. If you
>have been told that the modem/router is connecting to the ISP successfully,
>then the modem/router and its FW like features are not the problem.
>
>What error messages are you getting back from IE and can you send/recv
>emails?
>
>Duane

Hi.

I am running XP Pro SP1.

I am getting the message "The page can not be displayed".

I have not yet configured my Outlook to use the ISPs new settings.
When I try and use Agent though to receive news via SuperNews I get
the errror 11004: "error reported by winsock hostname can not be
found".

John

Duane Arnold

John wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:20:52 GMT, A strange species called Duane
> Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> The ADSL company I was with recently got taken over by another
>>> company, and because nobody told me anything about this I lost my
>>> connection as a result.
>>>
>>> I have change the settings to what they have said, and after checking
>>> the software for my ADSL modem/router, it is definitely connected to
>>> the ISP with the new settings okay, however I can still not get
>>> anything in Internet Explorer.
>>>
>>> I believe that there is some issue between the ADSL modem/router and
>>> the computer. I believe perhaps the firewall may be one explanation
>>> and it may be blocking the new settings? If you can help with any
>>> suggestions of what to do I'd be very grateful. The customer service
>>> people from the ISP couldn't help me any further because they didn't
>>> have a similar router to mine to be able to, and it appears it is a
>>> client side issue as the modem is connecting to them.
>>>

>>Well, it would be helpfull to know what O/S you're talking about. If you
>>have been told that the modem/router is connecting to the ISP
>>successfully, then the modem/router and its FW like features are not the
>>problem.
>>
>>What error messages are you getting back from IE and can you send/recv
>>emails?
>>
>>Duane

> Hi.
>
> I am running XP Pro SP1.
>
> I am getting the message "The page can not be displayed".
>
> I have not yet configured my Outlook to use the ISPs new settings.
> When I try and use Agent though to receive news via SuperNews I get
> the errror 11004: "error reported by winsock hostname can not be
> found".
>
> John

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316699

This above is not the same error message but it gives a possible solution to
your connection problems.

You want to look at he above link as you may want clear the temp files as
old pages may be holding on to old connections.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ck+fix&spell=1

Duane