Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > default username and password

default username and password

M.G.

Hi,

I have a new Cisco SOHO 97.

Does anyone know the default username and password for the Cisco SOHO
routers?

I'm trying to enter via telnet but I don't know the username and password.

Thanks,

M.G.

Uli Link

M.G. schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I have a new Cisco SOHO 97.
>
> Does anyone know the default username and password for the Cisco SOHO
> routers?

User "router" without password.

--
Uli

dbn58

"M.G." <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:rzqDe.2290601$(E-Mail Removed) s...
> Hi,
>
> I have a new Cisco SOHO 97.
>
> Does anyone know the default username and password for the Cisco SOHO
> routers?
>
> I'm trying to enter via telnet but I don't know the username and password.
>

> Thanks,
>
> M.G.

Normally on cisco routers there is no default user and/or password for the
VTY lines (which you use when you telnet to the router).
After having unpacked a brand new cisco router and want to give it an
initial configuration, most common is that you will have to use the console
port first, and give it some basic configuration.
To access the router via telnet you must
- assign an ip address to one interface
- set this interface to "no shutdown"
- connect that interface to a network which can be reached by your telnet
client station
- assign a password and enable login on at least vty 0
- If you want to access your new router on a remote network, you might also
need to configure a default route
- If you want to change to enable mode from your telnet session you will
need to set an enable secret (or, less recommended, an enable password)
Theese steps enable basic security. Without basic security you will be able
to reach the router via telnet, but it won't let you log in anyway, and
without an enable password you will not be able to switch to enabled mode
from a remote session
Hope it helps.
Regards
dbn58

M.G.

thanks.

dbn58 says that there is no default password and user for the VTY lines.
However, if you try to access via telnet you will be asked for user and
password.

M.G.

"dbn58" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:dbm5op$4e2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "M.G." <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:rzqDe.2290601$(E-Mail Removed) s...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a new Cisco SOHO 97.
>>
>> Does anyone know the default username and password for the Cisco SOHO
>> routers?
>>
>> I'm trying to enter via telnet but I don't know the username and
>> password.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> M.G.
>>

> Normally on cisco routers there is no default user and/or password for the
> VTY lines (which you use when you telnet to the router).
> After having unpacked a brand new cisco router and want to give it an
> initial configuration, most common is that you will have to use the
> console port first, and give it some basic configuration.
> To access the router via telnet you must
> - assign an ip address to one interface
> - set this interface to "no shutdown"
> - connect that interface to a network which can be reached by your telnet
> client station
> - assign a password and enable login on at least vty 0
> - If you want to access your new router on a remote network, you might
> also need to configure a default route
> - If you want to change to enable mode from your telnet session you will
> need to set an enable secret (or, less recommended, an enable password)
> Theese steps enable basic security. Without basic security you will be
> able to reach the router via telnet, but it won't let you log in anyway,
> and without an enable password you will not be able to switch to enabled
> mode from a remote session
> Hope it helps.
> Regards
> dbn58

M.G.

Thanks,

M.G.

news:42de5219$0$25701$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...