Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Installing Win98 on a P4

Installing Win98 on a P4

Bad Disciple

Hi everybody,

The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...

On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
"not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
"remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !

What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
we want with them !

Thanks for replying,
Bad Disciple

Bad Disciple

Oops, sorry, I did a mistake and it went 3 times...
Stinking informatics still waring Pampers...

BD

David H. Lipman

From: "Bad Disciple" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hi everybody,
|
| The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
|
| On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
| made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
| So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
| another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
| In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
| "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
| "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
| there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
|
| What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
| Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
| we want with them !
|
| Thanks for replying,
| Bad Disciple

This is NOT a Secrity related question.

Win98 FAILS under 1.5GB RAM w/o specific SYSTEM.INI settings. Win98 is about to reach its
End of Life.

Since you decided to cross-post to security News Groups.

The Security advice is to dump Win98 and put a more secure OS on !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Bad Disciple

I'm sorry if I posted to a security newsgroup. But I checked out
and there R actually quite many other non security topics in it.
I'll not bother U anymore, thnx anyway 4 the effort of typing this.

By the way, IF U read well what I described, you shouldn't suggest
this pumped opinion. I SAID that I want to use some work I made
with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
Otherwise, I've dumped Win98 possibly even b4 U.

Bad Disciple

> From: "Bad Disciple" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | Hi everybody,
> |
> | The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
> |
> | On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
> | made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
> | So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
> | another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
> | In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
> | "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
> | "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
> | there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
> |
> | What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
> | Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
> | we want with them !
> |
> | Thanks for replying,
> | Bad Disciple
> |

> This is NOT a Secrity related question.
>
> Win98 FAILS under 1.5GB RAM w/o specific SYSTEM.INI settings. Win98 is
> about to reach its
> End of Life.
>
> Since you decided to cross-post to security News Groups.
>
> The Security advice is to dump Win98 and put a more secure OS on !
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim Watt

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:02:20 +0200, "Bad Disciple"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm sorry if I posted to a security newsgroup. But I checked out
>and there R actually quite many other non security topics in it.

This only proves that there are more ignorant people around
particularly those who abbreviate where not appropriate.

Anyhow, its a computer problem, you have a solution so
be on your way.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Ant

"Jim Watt" wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:02:20 +0200, "Bad Disciple"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm sorry if I posted to a security newsgroup. But I checked out
>>and there R actually quite many other non security topics in it.

> This only proves that there are more ignorant people around
> particularly those who abbreviate where not appropriate.
>
> Anyhow, its a computer problem, you have a solution so
> be on your way.

What a polite way of saying (the appropriately abbreviated) FOAD

Randy

Bad Disciple wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
>
> On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
> made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
> So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
> another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
> In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
> "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
> "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
> there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
>
> What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
> Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
> we want with them !
>
> Thanks for replying,
> Bad Disciple

"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed (Q253912)

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 95

SYMPTOMS
If a computer that is running any of the versions of Windows that are
listed above contains more than 512 megabytes (for example, 768
megabytes) of physical memory (RAM), you may experience one or more of
the following symptoms:

You may be unable to open an MS-DOS session (or command prompt) while
Windows is running. Attempts to do so may generate the following error
message:

There is not enough memory available to run this program.
Quit one or more programs, and then try again.
The computer may stop responding (hang) while Windows is starting, or
halt and display the following error message:

Insufficient memory to initialize windows. Quit one or more
memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your
Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files, and restart your computer.

CAUSE
The Windows 32-bit protected-mode cache driver (Vcache) determines the
maximum cache size based on the amount of RAM that is present when
Windows starts. Vcache then reserves enough memory addresses to permit
it to access a cache of the maximum size so that it can increase the
cache to that size if needed. These addresses are allocated in a range
of virtual addresses from 0xC0000000 through 0xFFFFFFFF (3 to 4
gigabytes) known as the system arena.

On computers with large amounts of RAM, the maximum cache size can be
large enough that Vcache consumes all of the addresses in the system
arena, leaving no virtual memory addresses available for other functions
such as opening an MS-DOS prompt (creating a new virtual machine).

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, use one of the following methods:

Use the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the
maximum amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512 megabytes (524,288 KB)
or less.

For additional information about how to use the MaxFileCache setting,
click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft
Knowledge Base:
Q108079 32-Bit File Access Maximum Cache Size
Use the System Configuration utility to limit the amount of memory that
Windows uses to 512 megabytes (MB) or less.

For additional information about how to use the System Configuration
utility, click the article number below to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Q181966 System Configuration Utility Advanced Troubleshooting Settings
Reduce the amount of memory that is installed in your computer to 512 MB
or less.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products
that are listed at the beginning of this article.

MORE INFORMATION
Vcache is limited internally to a maximum cache size of 800 MB.

This problem may occur more readily with Advanced Graphics Port (AGP)
video adapters because the AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in
the system arena. For example, if Vcache is using a maximum cache size
of 800 MB and an AGP video adapter has a 128-MB aperture mapped, there
is very little address space remaining for the other system code and
data that must occupy this range of virtual addresses.

Jim Watt

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:34:05 +0100, "Ant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jim Watt" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:02:20 +0200, "Bad Disciple"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm sorry if I posted to a security newsgroup. But I checked out
>>>and there R actually quite many other non security topics in it.

>> This only proves that there are more ignorant people around
>> particularly those who abbreviate where not appropriate.
>>
>> Anyhow, its a computer problem, you have a solution so
>> be on your way.

>What a polite way of saying (the appropriately abbreviated) FOAD

careful you'll make the posters cross
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Winged

Bad Disciple wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
>
> On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
> made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
> So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
> another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
> In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
> "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
> "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
> there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
>
> What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
> Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
> we want with them !
>
> Thanks for replying,
> Bad Disciple

Sounds like your computer is using you again

Was that HD formatted on this system or one with the same motherboard or
same IDE controller? I suspect from your description you used a drive
that had been formatted on another controller. If not you may want to
fdisk and format that drive on the system to which it will be installed.

Did you run the drive integrity check portion of win98 SE install?

Winged

Winged

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Bad Disciple" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | Hi everybody,
> |
> | The goddamn nasty computer character hits again...
> |
> | On a P4, 2.4GH and 1.5GB RAM, I want to use some work
> | made with old Win 98 programs that don't work in Win XP.
> | So, I disconnected all the other HDs on that computer, added
> | another (formatted) HD, and started installing Win 98 on it.
> | In the middle of the process it stops and says things like:
> | "not enough memory", "remove programs using memory" and
> | "remove lines from autoexec and configsys files". 1000 thunders,
> | there are no other programs at all, it's all new from scratch !
> |
> | What's the ugly reason for this? Must be a solution anyway.
> | Computers will not do what they "want" with us, we will do what
> | we want with them !
> |
> | Thanks for replying,
> | Bad Disciple
> |

> This is NOT a Secrity related question.
>
> Win98 FAILS under 1.5GB RAM w/o specific SYSTEM.INI settings. Win98 is about to reach its
> End of Life.
>
> Since you decided to cross-post to security News Groups.
>
> The Security advice is to dump Win98 and put a more secure OS on !

Good answer, much better than mine. I didn't even consider or remember
possible RAM issue a previous post nor realize the crosspost until I hit
send...hey it's Sunday...I wasn't thinking...

Winged