Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > making video clips smaller for webhosting?

making video clips smaller for webhosting?

milo

i recently got a mini dv video camera and want to put up a few
video's on my own website, but I realize not every one has
adsl high speed internet.
I use Ulead video studio 7
It does say to share as avi, wmv streaming and I think real streaming
format, should I use one of those?

or is there something else I can use?

also on my laptop I hook my camera via a card thing into the laptop
but on my pc I only have USB, the camera has DV and USB outs is USB
ok to use?

my pc is
2.4 service pack 2
512 mem
2 x 120gig hd

laptop is
2.8
Acer celerion
192 meg ram
40gigi hd

milo

Robert Baer

milo wrote:

> i recently got a mini dv video camera and want to put up a few
> video's on my own website, but I realize not every one has
> adsl high speed internet.
> I use Ulead video studio 7
> It does say to share as avi, wmv streaming and I think real streaming
> format, should I use one of those?
>
> or is there something else I can use?
>
> also on my laptop I hook my camera via a card thing into the laptop
> but on my pc I only have USB, the camera has DV and USB outs is USB
> ok to use?
>
> my pc is
> 2.4 service pack 2
> 512 mem
> 2 x 120gig hd
>
> laptop is
> 2.8
> Acer celerion
> 192 meg ram
> 40gigi hd
>
> milo

Take a given video and convert to AVI as well as WMV.
If there are different quality levels available for conversion, try
them all.
Use memetic file names so you will know which AVI has which quality
level; ditto for WMV.
You might find that WMV will be a smaller file for a given visual
quality. I think there will be more quality options for WMV.
The tradeoff is size (smaller for faster loading) VS quality (better
quality is larger and so slower).
Since the source is the same in all cases, the file sizes will give
you a relative indicationof how fast they will load.

In any event, "streaming" input for playback is a bit of a disaster.
The player sits for a while, with the modem furiously blinking away,
and at some point the video runs for a "short" while, sits with blinkin'
modem, more video runs, etc. Insane.
The only good thing i can say about that is, at least the "user" has
an indication that something is working...