Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > CD-RW causing reboot ???

CD-RW causing reboot ???

cyberwraith

I was wondering if anyone had come across this problem before? My nephews
have an old computer running Win 98SE on a 486, yes there are still some
about. Now then they had a CD-RW installed and things went wrong. I had a
look and first off in My Computer no CD-RW drive was showing only the C: and
A: I checked all cables and connections. I decided to re-install their
original CD which still did not show up. Next I took the new CD-RW over to
my setup and checked that it was working correctly, which it is and the CD
also. Re-installed the CD-RW and there it is in My Computer. The problem now
is that when we insert a CD the computer reboots! after giving a message
about some VxD. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
cyberwraith

HF

Take notice of the message. It relates to a missing driver.
"cyberwraith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3R1me.4970$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was wondering if anyone had come across this problem before? My nephews
> have an old computer running Win 98SE on a 486, yes there are still some
> about. Now then they had a CD-RW installed and things went wrong. I had a
> look and first off in My Computer no CD-RW drive was showing only the C:

and
> A: I checked all cables and connections. I decided to re-install their
> original CD which still did not show up. Next I took the new CD-RW over to
> my setup and checked that it was working correctly, which it is and the CD
> also. Re-installed the CD-RW and there it is in My Computer. The problem

now
> is that when we insert a CD the computer reboots! after giving a message
> about some VxD. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> cyberwraith

cyberwraith

OK this is the message given on the blue screen of death, BTW she is running
Win 98 not 98SE.

An exception OE has occured at 0028:C00490C in VxD VFAT (01) + 00007838.
This was called from 0028:C182E620 in VxD voltrack (04) + 00000430. It may
be possible to continue normally by pressing any keyu, etc. I am considering
just reformatting and starting again, unless there is a quick fix?

Take care one and all.
cyberwraith

news:(E-Mail Removed)...