Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > OEM OSs and hidden partitions

OEM OSs and hidden partitions

yawnmoth

It seems that restoration discs for OEM computers are being replaced,
gradually, with hidden restoration partitions. Unfortunately, these
aren't very helpful if one replaces the hard drive. As such, is it
possible to create a restoration CD from a restoration partition? If
the partition is smaller than 700mb, this shouldn't be a problem. If
it's bigger than 700mb, a DVD could, perhapes be used.

Kenny

Norton Ghost, formerly Partition Magic, will make a complete image of your
hard drive. This is better than a restoration disc since it will have all
the drivers, programs etc. you have added since. Look here:
http://www.powerquest.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/
An alternative and the one I'm using at present is True Image, does
basically the same as Ghost.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

--

Kenny Cargill

"yawnmoth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> It seems that restoration discs for OEM computers are being replaced,
> gradually, with hidden restoration partitions. Unfortunately, these
> aren't very helpful if one replaces the hard drive. As such, is it
> possible to create a restoration CD from a restoration partition? If
> the partition is smaller than 700mb, this shouldn't be a problem. If
> it's bigger than 700mb, a DVD could, perhapes be used.

Kenny

My mistake, Ghost was formerly Drive Image, not Partition Magic. Was
thinking ahead of myself since if you want to save an image it shouldn't be
on the same partition as OS and PM will create partitions.
--

Kenny Cargill

news:d73udn$hq5$(E-Mail Removed)...