Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Lobotomy?

Lobotomy?

Bubba

My computer has acquired so much crap that it is now barely functional. My
intentions are to give the pup a lobotomy: wipe the hard drive, re-install
windows XP and start over.

I understand and have made copies of a lot of the files that will be
destroyed in this little frolic. Question is . . . . how do I save stuff
like e-mail addresses, favorites and E-MAIL? What are those files called
and how do I stuff them back in the box once the trepane is back in the
case?

Is there a website that might offer some guidance in this effort.

Thanks, all . . . .

Bubba

kay2121

for e-mail its a .dbx file, as for favorites in IE you should be able to
goto ur My Documents folder to get ur favorites

"Bubba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Bgaje.105805$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My computer has acquired so much crap that it is now barely functional.
> My intentions are to give the pup a lobotomy: wipe the hard drive,
> re-install windows XP and start over.
>
> I understand and have made copies of a lot of the files that will be
> destroyed in this little frolic. Question is . . . . how do I save stuff
> like e-mail addresses, favorites and E-MAIL? What are those files called
> and how do I stuff them back in the box once the trepane is back in the
> case?
>
> Is there a website that might offer some guidance in this effort.
>
> Thanks, all . . . .
>
> Bubba

Muhammad Khan

For email and address book (depands on what program you use) e.g Outlook or
outlook express goto file and export and select address book or messages.
For Favorites, open Internet explorer goto file import/export and run the
wizard. Make sure you know where are you saving those files.
You can burn it on cd , and do the same after reformating.

"kay2121" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> for e-mail its a .dbx file, as for favorites in IE you should be able to
> goto ur My Documents folder to get ur favorites
>

> "Bubba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Bgaje.105805$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My computer has acquired so much crap that it is now barely functional.
> > My intentions are to give the pup a lobotomy: wipe the hard drive,
> > re-install windows XP and start over.
> >
> > I understand and have made copies of a lot of the files that will be
> > destroyed in this little frolic. Question is . . . . how do I save

stuff
> > like e-mail addresses, favorites and E-MAIL? What are those files

called
> > and how do I stuff them back in the box once the trepane is back in the
> > case?
> >
> > Is there a website that might offer some guidance in this effort.
> >
> > Thanks, all . . . .
> >
> > Bubba

Wizard

Why not just fix it, it's gonna happen again in awhile till you learn
proper maintenace.

Bubba wrote:

> My computer has acquired so much crap that it is now barely functional. My
> intentions are to give the pup a lobotomy: wipe the hard drive, re-install
> windows XP and start over.
>
> I understand and have made copies of a lot of the files that will be
> destroyed in this little frolic. Question is . . . . how do I save stuff
> like e-mail addresses, favorites and E-MAIL? What are those files called
> and how do I stuff them back in the box once the trepane is back in the
> case?
>
> Is there a website that might offer some guidance in this effort.
>
> Thanks, all . . . .
>
> Bubba

Berty

I believe unless you moved the default directory you can if you have
enough space backup all your user folder which should be under
C:\Documents and Settings\Your_User_Name.

It includes also some staff you will not need but better a bit more
than too little.

I also read you can also open an Email account in Google and get 2G of
space which you can than mapped as one of your drive and use as
temporary place.

Have fun.

Wizard

Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm a material girl! Wanna see my fabric collection?

sbb78247

Bubba wrote:
> My computer has acquired so much crap that it is now barely
> functional. My intentions are to give the pup a lobotomy: wipe the
> hard drive, re-install windows XP and start over.
>
> I understand and have made copies of a lot of the files that will be
> destroyed in this little frolic. Question is . . . . how do I save
> stuff like e-mail addresses, favorites and E-MAIL? What are those
> files called and how do I stuff them back in the box once the trepane
> is back in the case?
>
> Is there a website that might offer some guidance in this effort.
>
> Thanks, all . . . .
>
> Bubba

sounds like you need a lobotomy yourself

--
so many jackasses, so little ammo