Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > GRiD 1660 laptop

Reply
Thread Tools

GRiD 1660 laptop

 
 
Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2005
I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working
fine for a while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being
turned on, now it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off
after 1 second. The disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up
then the light goes off and laptop power seems to cut out with a flash
on the screen. Does anyone know if I can fix this problem? any help
appreciated
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rod Speed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005

Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ut9je.4156$(E-Mail Removed)...

>I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working fine for a
>while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being turned on, now
>it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off after 1 second. The
>disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up then the light goes off and
>laptop power seems to cut out with a flash on the screen. Does anyone know if I
>can fix this problem?


Its most likely a dud battery. Not cheap to replace and
it can be due to other things too so ideally you want to
try a known good one first before buying a replacement.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wizard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005
My guess would be a failed power supply fan. Happens all the time.

Thomas wrote:
>
> I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working
> fine for a while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being
> turned on, now it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off
> after 1 second. The disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up
> then the light goes off and laptop power seems to cut out with a flash
> on the screen. Does anyone know if I can fix this problem? any help
> appreciated

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rod Speed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005

Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> My guess would be a failed power supply fan.


With a laptop ?

> Happens all the time.


Not with a laptop.


> Thomas wrote:
>>
>> I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working
>> fine for a while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being
>> turned on, now it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off
>> after 1 second. The disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up
>> then the light goes off and laptop power seems to cut out with a flash
>> on the screen. Does anyone know if I can fix this problem? any help
>> appreciated



 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2005
Rod Speed wrote:
> Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ut9je.4156$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>>I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working fine for a
>>while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being turned on, now
>>it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off after 1 second. The
>>disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up then the light goes off and
>>laptop power seems to cut out with a flash on the screen. Does anyone know if I
>>can fix this problem?

>
>
> Its most likely a dud battery. Not cheap to replace and
> it can be due to other things too so ideally you want to
> try a known good one first before buying a replacement.
>
>

well the battery I was using was the original GRiD battery which would
only hold it's charge for a half hour and that was even if I didn't use
it, trying to power the laptop with it was pointless considering it
would do the same thing as I described in my original message, but I
tried using the laptop with no batter and the problem still persists
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rod Speed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005

"Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rprje.4554$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ut9je.4156$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>
>>>I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working fine for
>>>a while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being turned on,
>>>now it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off after 1 second.
>>>The disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up then the light goes off
>>>and laptop power seems to cut out with a flash on the screen. Does anyone
>>>know if I can fix this problem?

>>
>>
>> Its most likely a dud battery. Not cheap to replace and
>> it can be due to other things too so ideally you want to
>> try a known good one first before buying a replacement.

> well the battery I was using was the original GRiD battery which would only
> hold it's charge for a half hour and that was even if I didn't use it, trying
> to power the laptop with it was pointless considering it would do the same
> thing as I described in my original message, but I tried using the laptop with
> no batter and the problem still persists


OK, then likely its a dry joint problem. Expensive to fix with a laptop.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rod Speed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rprje.4554$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rod Speed wrote:
>>> Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ut9je.4156$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>>
>>>>I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working fine
>>>>for a while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being turned
>>>>on, now it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off after 1
>>>>second. The disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up then the light
>>>>goes off and laptop power seems to cut out with a flash on the screen. Does
>>>>anyone know if I can fix this problem?
>>>
>>>
>>> Its most likely a dud battery. Not cheap to replace and
>>> it can be due to other things too so ideally you want to
>>> try a known good one first before buying a replacement.

>> well the battery I was using was the original GRiD battery which would only
>> hold it's charge for a half hour and that was even if I didn't use it, trying
>> to power the laptop with it was pointless considering it would do the same
>> thing as I described in my original message, but I tried using the laptop
>> with no batter and the problem still persists

>
> OK, then likely its a dry joint problem. Expensive to fix with a laptop.


Worth trying another power pack if you can without spending any money.
Or just wriggling the cable from it at either end, the laptop end and the
powerpack end. Could be just a faulty cable.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wizard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
I stand by my statement, obviously you do go inside them much if you
have never seen this!

Rod Speed wrote:
>
> Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > My guess would be a failed power supply fan.

>
> With a laptop ?
>
> > Happens all the time.

>
> Not with a laptop.
>
> > Thomas wrote:
> >>
> >> I bought an old Grid 1660 laptop at a garage sale and it was working
> >> fine for a while then it started shutting down after a few mins of being
> >> turned on, now it's gotten so worse that when I turn it on it shuts off
> >> after 1 second. The disk light goes on and I can hear the HD spin up
> >> then the light goes off and laptop power seems to cut out with a flash
> >> on the screen. Does anyone know if I can fix this problem? any help
> >> appreciated

 
Reply With Quote
 
Wizard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No, my childhood prepared me for pain.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wizard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2005
Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think I started my period but Im not sure Is period blood a redish
> brownish colour?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop A -> Wireless Router -> Laptop B and Laptop C ??? rafael Wireless Networking 7 01-21-2008 02:10 AM
How to transfer a value from an Invisible Grid to an visible Grid =?Utf-8?B?QXNzYW5LaGFuIElzbWFpbA==?= ASP .Net 2 10-17-2005 03:56 AM
Grid within a Grid ItemDataBound event problem Girish ASP .Net 4 07-19-2005 01:17 AM
FS: Vintage 1983 GRiD 1101 Laptop Computer - First Laptop & Designed for NASA Dave Computer Information 0 09-27-2004 09:14 PM
FS: First Clamshell Laptop - First Laptop in Space - GRiD 1101 Compass Computer Dave Computer Information 0 09-22-2004 10:59 PM



Advertisments