Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Adding original hard drive

Adding original hard drive

Gerry

Hi,
I have built a new pc & would like to add my original old hard drive into
the system.
It already has xp on it. Can i just simply plug this in to the new hard
drive ide or will i get problems ??

Robert Baer

Gerry wrote:

> Hi,
> I have built a new pc & would like to add my original old hard drive into
> the system.
> It already has xp on it. Can i just simply plug this in to the new hard
> drive ide or will i get problems ??

I understand that any hardware change that XP sees will require yet
another key code of some sort to get it going again.
Since the whole system is different, M$ may ASS-u-me that you stole XP...

dennis

"Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5v31r$5e1$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi,
> I have built a new pc & would like to add my original old hard drive into
> the system.
> It already has xp on it. Can i just simply plug this in to the new hard
> drive ide or will i get problems ??

It probably won't work (almost certain) When an OS is loaded alot of
configuration takes place regarding the system's hardware.

From personal experience: I was supporting a small training center with
about 20 systems and the customer wanted to have a model system created
then create a Ghost image on a network drive and propogate the OS's to the
other systems (customer had a corporate xp license). All were identical
IBM Netvistas but the 3 were 1G machines and not 933's, had more ram and a
different embedded NIC. At any rate, I attempted the first 1G system but
would not boot after ghosting (it rebooted constantly after the xp logo came
up). I tried another 1G and got same results. I wound up making two images
for the customer.

Dennis

Jess Fertudei

You're going to see a lot of people who tell you that a fresh install is
needed. It might not be.

I have upgraded XP drives into new systems and upgraded motherboards with
great success and not done a fresh install. A repair install seems to work
fine for me and saves me all that work of reinstalling my apps and the 8
billion plugins I use. Look for 'xp repair install' on Google and look for
repair install in Windows Help.

Here are a few critical things to consider first, IMO:

First thing is to download the service packs and burn them to CD and have
them on hand as your file system will be reset to new.

Have all drivers at hand the new hardware.

****DO NOT**** boot into Windows the first time you fire it up... Boot to
CMOS and make your settings as desired. While there set it to boot to CD
first in order and open the CD drawer and put the XP CD in it. When you boot
to the CD you will get several options (that you may want to research on
Google) that will allow you to do a repair installation.

It will appear as though it is doing a fresh install so it will take just as
long as a regular install... the time savings is in not having to reinstall
the apps.

Remember that any your security updates are zapped so you will need to
install the service packs before going on line even though you may see your
OE and IE looking like they were not affected.

Repair Console is not the same thing as Repair Install necessarily.

Repair Install is a wonderful thing as long as you read up on it from
*several* sites first and use a little patience and backup ahead just in
case it doesn't go well. I have seen reports of issues that are greatly
outnumbered by successes... but you want to be ready for the worst. Even if
the worst happened, so what? You were going to reformat anyhow... may as
well invest an hour to see if you can save many hours after.

Good luck

Your Mileage May Vary

"Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5v31r$5e1$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi,
> I have built a new pc & would like to add my original old hard drive into
> the system.
> It already has xp on it. Can i just simply plug this in to the new hard
> drive ide or will i get problems ??

JTJersey

On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:10:36 +0000, Gerry wrote:

> Hi,
> I have built a new pc & would like to add my original old hard drive
> into the system.
> It already has xp on it. Can i just simply plug this in to the new hard
> drive ide or will i get problems ??

A qualified Maybe. I've had some dismal failures, but I've sucessfully
done this more often then not. Just make sure you have all the drivers for
the new hardware should Windows not recognize something and any serial
numbers your programs may require. The change will for certain flag your
XP setup for re-registration. Being as it is on the original hard drive
you may be able to convince Microsoft that what you did is a legitimate
upgrade.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Plato

Gerry wrote:

> I have built a new pc & would like to add my original old hard drive into
> the system.
> It already has xp on it. Can i just simply plug this in to the new hard
> drive ide or will i get problems ??

Repair install will be needed.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/