Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Need help getting rid of chkdsk at startup

Need help getting rid of chkdsk at startup

June

I don't know how I did this; but at startup on my Windows XP, it starts
chkdsk (5 steps!); and it takes about a half hour for it to complete
before the windows desktop comes up.
Please tell me how to undo this thing. I've checked scheduled tasks,
and a host of other areas and I can't find out how to change this.

Thanks for the help!
June

Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)

"June" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I don't know how I did this; but at startup on my Windows XP, it starts
> chkdsk (5 steps!); and it takes about a half hour for it to complete
> before the windows desktop comes up.
> Please tell me how to undo this thing. I've checked scheduled tasks,
> and a host of other areas and I can't find out how to change this.

Well, if you're using the FAT32 file system on XP, then every time the O/S
crashes, it is going to run the file system tests because FAT32 is not very
fault tolerant and it may need to do some corrections to the file system,
unlike NTFS that's on the XP O/S too.

NTFS is very fault tolerant and if the system crashes, the O/S will not
perform the tests at system boot.
You can use the CONVERT command to convert the file system from FAT32 to
NTFS and it's a piece of cake to do.

http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computi...pfattontfs.htm

You right-click on the Start button/Explorer then you select the drive and
right-click/Properties and it will tell you the file system being used.

Duane

June

Dear Duane,

I checked as you suggested, and its NTFS, so that's not the reason it's
starting the chkdsk at startup.
Do you have any other ideas on how I can stop that chkdsk.

Thanks again!
June

Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)

"June" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Dear Duane,
>
> I checked as you suggested, and its NTFS, so that's not the reason it's
> starting the chkdsk at startup.
> Do you have any other ideas on how I can stop that chkdsk.

You can try this.

You can always use Google or Dogpile.com like when I entered the search
criteria

" how to stop chkdsk at system boot on XP"

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...739/13739.html

HTH

Duane