Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help with disabling Internet Explorer

Reply
Thread Tools

Help with disabling Internet Explorer

 
 
mort
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2005
IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
suggestions - Thanks

Chuck


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Baer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2005
mort wrote:
> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
> pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
> running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
> always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
> here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
> suggestions - Thanks
>
> Chuck
>
>

At least you can remove IE; some of the other OSes does not allow that.
Granted that it is not listed as a registered program.
So, find and *double check* that you have the folder for IE and
delete the damn thing, clear the "recycle bin" and then defrag.
I have been runnig Win98SE for many years that way.
Nice and peaceful.
If you have Win2K you cannot do tha; it pops back; even registry
editing cannot get rid of that virus called Internet Explorer (it is
real nasty).
BUT there are other ways of dealing with the mess, that you can also
use in other GUIs that also give added protection.
Use a long-winded HOSTS file; I modified the one available from the
website, and include a copy of the modified header only:
# How this works: this file is checked first for entries in a web page
that
# are the same as in the second column. The computer then goes to the
location
# in the first column. Since 127.0.0.1 is the local host (the location
of your
# computer) and the file is not located, it skips to the next (file)
entry in
# the web page. This blocks such requests in the web page.
# ** notes:
# 1) The name of the file *must* be in all caps for it to work.
# Added: It makes *no* visible difference. R.Baer Oct 2, 2004
# 2) It is a good idea to mark it as readonly and have a copy (eg:
hosts.bak)
# 3) Hosts file is in K:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
##added here, not in my file: LOCATION OF HOSTS FILE DEPENDS ON OS##

127.0.0.1 localhost # "must" be first

127.0.0.1 pop3.norton.antivirus # norton antivirus for e-mail
scanning
127.0.0.1 pop3.spa.norton.antivirus # norton antivirus for e-mail
scanning
127.0.0.1 downloads-eu1.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav
127.0.0.1 downloads2.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav
127.0.0.1 downloads4.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav
127.0.0.1 downloads1.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav
127.0.0.1 downloads-us1.kaspersky-labs.com # entries added by nav

# everything below is from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
# entries marked with parasite or trojan comments should
# be placed in the internet explorer restricted zone.
# http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm
# entries with other comments are searchable via google.

# [add-ons from brown pop-up boxes seen when using internet explorer]
# some of these may also have an invasive payload.
# not all of these stop that junk
# *Note: disabling the following Services will help: Messenger, Alerter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JANA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2005
Your system probably has an adware Trojan. You should download Spybot, and
Adaware SE to start with, update them, and then do a full system scan to see
if you can find and get rid of the adwares. This is a common problem.

--

JANA
_____


"mort" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_YZfe.354$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
suggestions - Thanks

Chuck



 
Reply With Quote
 
WebWalker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2005
On Tue, 10 May 2005 08:07:22 GMT, "mort" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
>pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
>running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
>always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
>here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
>suggestions - Thanks


Your IE was hijacked (spyware) and quit unfortunate is that even you
have change to other browser, the pop-up is still come back.

Use Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy and Microsoft Antispyware to
clear them away.

--
WebWalker
 
Reply With Quote
 
What's in a Name?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2005
mort wrote:
> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i
> constantly get pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even
> though i am not running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the
> title bars at the top always start with the IE logo - then "Warning"
> I'm still using Windows 98 here - I would greatly appreciate any help
> with disabling IE or suggestions - Thanks
>
> Chuck


Also use Spyware Blaster. Enable all protection.
Use Spybot's resident "teatimer".
Use a popup stopper. MSN+Google have a toolbar that includes a stopper.
MS anti-spyware doesn't work with 98. See my site for more tips
http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
-max

--
Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
You can find my e-mail address on my pages.
This message is virus free as far as I can tell.


 
Reply With Quote
 
WebWalker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2005
On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:14:44 -0400, "What's in a Name?"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>mort wrote:
>> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i
>> constantly get pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even
>> though i am not running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the
>> title bars at the top always start with the IE logo - then "Warning"
>> I'm still using Windows 98 here - I would greatly appreciate any help
>> with disabling IE or suggestions - Thanks
>>
>> Chuck

>
>Also use Spyware Blaster. Enable all protection.
>Use Spybot's resident "teatimer".
>Use a popup stopper. MSN+Google have a toolbar that includes a stopper.
>MS anti-spyware doesn't work with 98. See my site for more tips
>http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
>-max


Yes, the MS anitspyware don't works in Win98.
I found MS anitspyware is very excellent to remove browser hijacked
spyware in Win XP but I can't find anything that has similar capacity
for Win98.
Any good suggestions?

--
WebWalker
 
Reply With Quote
 
haphzrd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2005
In alt.computer mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i constantly get
> pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even though i am not
> running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) - the title bars at the top
> always start with the IE logo - then "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98
> here - I would greatly appreciate any help with disabling IE or
> suggestions - Thanks
>
> Chuck


When I used to run Windows (9, I found a program called "IEradicator" which
eliminates every trace of Internet Explorer from your system. IE is heavily
integrated into Win98, and this script makes the process painless.

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

After you remove IE, I would follow the good advice of others in this
thread (especially the HOSTS file) - and install a decent firewall.

--
: :: : haphzrd : :: :
 
Reply With Quote
 
What's in a Name?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2005
WebWalker wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:14:44 -0400, "What's in a Name?"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> mort wrote:
>>> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i
>>> constantly get pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even
>>> though i am not running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) -
>>> the title bars at the top always start with the IE logo - then
>>> "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98 here - I would greatly
>>> appreciate any help with disabling IE or suggestions - Thanks
>>>
>>> Chuck

>>
>> Also use Spyware Blaster. Enable all protection.
>> Use Spybot's resident "teatimer".
>> Use a popup stopper. MSN+Google have a toolbar that includes a
>> stopper. MS anti-spyware doesn't work with 98. See my site for more
>> tips http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
>> -max

>
> Yes, the MS anitspyware don't works in Win98.
> I found MS anitspyware is very excellent to remove browser hijacked
> spyware in Win XP but I can't find anything that has similar capacity
> for Win98.
> Any good suggestions?



I have some listed on my site
http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/tools.html
-max
--
Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
You can find my e-mail address on my pages.
This message is virus free as far as I can tell.


 
Reply With Quote
 
What's in a Name?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2005
haphzrd wrote:
> In alt.computer mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> IE seems to have developed a mind of its own -when online i
>> constantly get pop-ups for viagra, discount plane fares, etc. - even
>> though i am not running IE anymore - (currently using Netscape) -
>> the title bars at the top always start with the IE logo - then
>> "Warning" I'm still using Windows 98 here - I would greatly
>> appreciate any help with disabling IE or suggestions - Thanks
>>
>> Chuck

>
> When I used to run Windows (9, I found a program called
> "IEradicator" which eliminates every trace of Internet Explorer from
> your system. IE is heavily integrated into Win98, and this script
> makes the process painless.
>
> http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html
>
> After you remove IE, I would follow the good advice of others in this
> thread (especially the HOSTS file) - and install a decent firewall.
>
>>>>> haphzrd : :: :



Some programs are dependent on IE. Avast anti-virus is one.
-max
--
Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
You can find my e-mail address on my pages.
This message is virus free as far as I can tell.


 
Reply With Quote
 
haphzrd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2005
In alt.computer What's in a Name? <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Some programs are dependent on IE. Avast anti-virus is one.
> -max


This is absolutely true. A near complete removal (which is possible) may
work - or you'll have to choose your software wisely.

--
: :: : haphzrd : :: :
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Nathan Sokalski Windows 64bit 16 02-22-2010 08:31 AM
internet explorer 7 - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpag sandy j Windows 64bit 0 05-02-2009 02:12 AM
Disabling a select form element does not appear right in Internet Explorer kebabkongen@hotmail.com Javascript 1 06-20-2006 01:23 AM
Need help to restore "explorer.exe" functionality. Note this is NOT an Internet Explorer issue. oldsoul Computer Support 10 07-12-2005 03:09 PM
Help with disabling Internet Explorer mort Computer Support 9 05-13-2005 02:34 AM



Advertisments