Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How are Usernames & pw stored in XP?

How are Usernames & pw stored in XP?

Wizard

If you have XP set to store Usernames and passwords for specific sites
it will do so ...Can anyone tell me where or how they are stored?
I've scoured the registry and searched for saved ones in every file on
my system and can't figure it out. I would like to edit the holding
file.
Thanx

JANA

Passwords that are stored in the local machine, are usually encrypted in to
the registry. Different software developers have their own approach to how
they would want to do this.

If the passwords and names are in the auto-complete with IE, then this is
with IE. I believe that these are also in the registry. I am very sure that
there is encryption also used in IE for this feature.

Many sites have their own database, where they locally store all the user
information. When this is done, then it has nothing to do with the user's
local computer. Some sites will drop a cookie in to the user's computer to
know when a particular user is visiting their site. They can use this cookie
to identify who the user is.

--

JANA
_____

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
If you have XP set to store Usernames and passwords for specific sites
it will do so ...Can anyone tell me where or how they are stored?
I've scoured the registry and searched for saved ones in every file on
my system and can't figure it out. I would like to edit the holding
file.
Thanx

Boscoe Pertwee

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have XP set to store Usernames and passwords for specific
> sites
> it will do so ...Can anyone tell me where or how they are
> stored?
> I've scoured the registry and searched for saved ones in every
> file on
> my system and can't figure it out. I would like to edit the
> holding
> file.
> Thanx

Type 'control userpasswords2' (without the quotes of course) and
then Advanced for passwords.