Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > restoring my pc or laptop back to factory settings

restoring my pc or laptop back to factory settings

milo

G'day

is there a way of restoring my pc or laptop back to original settings ie the
day i got them, with out using the recovery floppys or cds?
thanks

-_-_-
milo

What's in a Name?

milo wrote:
> G'day
>

> is there a way of restoring my pc or laptop back to original settings ie the
> day i got them, with out using the recovery floppys or cds?
> thanks
>
> -_-_-
> milo

"@@" looks into crystal ball....hmmmmm
( )
Have you tried "system restore"? You realize that you provided almost NO
information about your problem.
-max

milo

G'day
sorry, i have a packard bell imedia 2.4 mg ,120 gig hd 512mem
and an acer extnsa 2000 laptop both on network, both xp home
i seem to be getting a lot of junk stuff on then, ive run spybot search
and destroy but seems to still be getting alot of spy ware, im on adsl
broadband..

-_-_-
milo
"What's in a Name?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42782306$0$40403$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> milo wrote:
> > G'day
> >

> > is there a way of restoring my pc or laptop back to original settings ie

the
> > day i got them, with out using the recovery floppys or cds?
> > thanks
> >
> > -_-_-
> > milo
> >

> "@@" looks into crystal ball....hmmmmm
> ( )
> Have you tried "system restore"? You realize that you provided almost NO
> information about your problem.
> -max
> --
> Virus Removal Instructions: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
> You can find my e-mail address on my pages.
> This message is virus free as far as I can tell.

JTJersey

On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:59:30 +0000, milo wrote:

> G'day
>

> is there a way of restoring my pc or laptop back to original settings ie
> the day i got them, with out using the recovery floppys or cds? thanks
>
> -_-_-
> milo

Not really. You need all of the hardware drivers and original software
with whatever proprietary stuff they threw in. If you don't have the
recovery discs go to the manufacturer's web site and see if they are
available. It's about all you can do.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

aleX

milo wrote:
> G'day
> sorry, i have a packard bell imedia 2.4 mg ,120 gig hd 512mem
> and an acer extnsa 2000 laptop both on network, both xp home
> i seem to be getting a lot of junk stuff on then, ive run spybot search
> and destroy but seems to still be getting alot of spy ware, im on adsl
> broadband..

You often need much more than just Spybot S&D to get rid of existing
adware, but it's a good start.

First try to clean your PC completely of viruses and adware.
Keep your Spybot up to date, and get other adware tools such as
'Ad-Aware'. If either of these two are still reporting infection then
you'll have to look at getting specific tools for the specific adware.
Searching on the web for the adware name will help guide you.

Make sure you have up-to-date Antivirus (free.grisoft.com for the free
AVG antivirus), and even do extra online scanning at
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/ (Trend Micro also have a site
for this)

Use a firewall, such as the free ZoneAlarm.

Once clean, 'Spywareblaster' and 'Spywareguard' can help stop more
adware infecting your PC.

If you want to go the whole hog and reformat your hard disk then make
sure you have at least the WindowsXP CD (make sure it's 'full version'
and not 'upgrade')and a bootup disc. You can make this disc just now in
XP, and even download them on the web (bootdisk.com?). I recently used a
Windows98 bootdisc to get into an XP Home machine - this is my favorite
method as it seems to work with all new Windows versions. Make sure you
DO have a bootdisc though before contemplating a re-format otherwise you
won't get very far.

WebWalker

On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:38:57 GMT, "milo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>G'day
>sorry, i have a packard bell imedia 2.4 mg ,120 gig hd 512mem
>and an acer extnsa 2000 laptop both on network, both xp home
>i seem to be getting a lot of junk stuff on then, ive run spybot search
>and destroy but seems to still be getting alot of spy ware, im on adsl
>broadband..

To clean spyware, I use :-
Ad-Aware
Spybot
Microsoft Antispyware (beta).

Microsoft Antispyware is very very good in getting rid of IE's
hijacked spyware.

For Internet surfing, use Mozilla's Firefox. It is more secure than
IE.

Good luck

--
WebWalker

What's in a Name?

milo wrote:
> G'day
> sorry, i have a packard bell imedia 2.4 mg ,120 gig hd 512mem
> and an acer extnsa 2000 laptop both on network, both xp home
> i seem to be getting a lot of junk stuff on then, ive run spybot
> search and destroy but seems to still be getting alot of spy ware,
> im on adsl broadband..

(middle posted for maximum confusion)
Milo-
As was already mentioned,you need more protection. I have some tips and
links on my pages. See:
Keeping Windows Clean: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/keepingclean.html
Virus Prevention:
http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/virusprevention.html